Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys new to the wrangler world:wavey:, can you guys help me with an axel question? i ve been looking up rear diff fluid changes and i came across limited slip fluid? can guys explain to me what this is and if i need it? also what kind of fluid should i use in the axel? thank you!

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Do you have an LSD?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Fluid Change....

I just did my 06 LJ Rear Dana-44Their has to be about 3-4 oz of the fluid your talking about! Just tell your local parts counter your Jeep's specs and they will guide you.PS-Get the Lube Locker Diff cover gaskets and forget the RTV gasket material!!!!Trust me on this one.....Good Luck!!!!!:thumb:

·
Registered
821 Posts
FROM THE 2012 MANUAL p560
Axle Differential (Front) MOPAR Gear & Axle Lubricant (SAE 80W-90) (API GL-5) or equivalent.

Axle Differential (Rear) 226 RBI (Model 44) - MOPAR Gear & Axle Lubricant (SAE 80W-90) (API
GL-5) or equivalent. For trailer towing, use MOPAR Synthetic Gear & Axle
Lubricant (SAE 75W-140) or equivalent. Models equipped with Trac-Lok™
require an additive.
Several people have used 75w-90 with sucess.

I would check out this link. It has a couple write-up's, and a picture of the lube locker.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/rear-diff-189911.html

LSD-Limited Slip Differential
If you have LSD it will show up as "DSA Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle", or possibly Trac-Lok, on the window sticker under Options. I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I think synthetic oils have the special additive in them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds good thank you guys! i dont have the window sticker :( is there any other place where it would state that it has trac-lok?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
In years past, there used to be a metal tag on the differential held on with one of the cover bolts. I'm not sure if the still do that.

Best way to figure it out is to smell the gear oil. If it's not too bad it's not a limited slip. If it really stinks it's probably a limited slip.

Or you can just take the rear cover all the way off and look at the carrier. There's plenty of pictures of limited slip and open carriers out on google images.

·
Registered
140 Posts
In years past, there used to be a metal tag on the differential held on with one of the cover bolts. I'm not sure if the still do that.

Best way to figure it out is to smell the gear oil. If it's not too bad it's not a limited slip. If it really stinks it's probably a limited slip.

Or you can just take the rear cover all the way off and look at the carrier. There's plenty of pictures of limited slip and open carriers out on google images.
^You're kidding right?^ If you're not sure if you have a LSD, just use synthetic oil and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
293 Posts
mickdundee said:
sounds good thank you guys! i dont have the window sticker :( is there any other place where it would state that it has trac-lok?
Go register on the owners section of jeep.com with your vin, then you'll be able to pull up the equipment list (build sheet) for your vehicle as it left the factory. If it lists "Anti-spin differential" in the list, then you have trac lok.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
All of the modern synthetic lubes I've looked at still require the additive if you have a limited slip differential.

If you have a Sport or a Sahara, the LSD was an option. If you have a Rubicon, you don't have an LSD.

Mike

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Even with synthetic, you still need additive. And why waste the money if you don't have to? :confused:
Some synthetics (maybe all) have the friction modifiers in them already so LSD additive isn't necessary. Should be easy for you to know since you can smell it. LOL

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I guess the easy answer is read the bottle and go with what it says. Unless of course your using Amsoil. This is from their website.

"AMSOIL Severe Gear is compatible with most limited-slip differentials. If limited-slip differential chatter occurs, add AMSOIL Slip-Lock™ friction modifier additive."

I should have known better than to get involved with an oil thread. :banghead:

Mike

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
i dont know how can i tell?
Easiest way to tell is to jack up one rear wheel.....try to spin it by hand, if it spins freely , you have an "open differential"...
If it does not spin, chances are you have a limited slip or some kind of locker, or the e-brake is engaged....:nonono:

Good luck .... "BH"

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
One more time: JKs use 75/90 w with no other additives no matter what axle you have.
Unless you have the towing package and the rear diff then uses 75W-140.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
SilverSport said:
Unless you have the towing package and the rear diff then uses 75W-140.
It's the exact same diff, they just suggest using a heavier weight gear oil when towing.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
It's the exact same diff, they just suggest using a heavier weight gear oil when towing.
I never said the diff was different. You posted all JKs use 75W-90 regardless of the axle. That isn't entirely correct. If you tow or have the tow package, the recommended fluid is a 75W-140.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I never said the diff was different. You posted all JKs use 75W-90 regardless of the axle. That isn't entirely correct. If you tow or have the tow package, the recommended fluid is a 75W-140.
No I didnt mean You said theyre different axles, the owners manual confuses people and leads some to believe if they have a tow package, they have a different diff. Jeeps reason for not running 75/140 in all diffs is fuel mileage suffers.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts