Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,
I did something very stupid for this to happen. End result is a broken rear drive shaft sent out for repair. The rear differential has rotated pointing up toward the cab. All the control arm brackets are intact. My mechanic states that I need to purchase either a new rear axle or one from a junk yard and he would have to install it and migrate my 4.56 gears to the new(used) axle. I'm looking for opinions on how to repair this without breaking the bank or if I have no choice but to replace the rear axle and if so what direction should I go?

Attachments

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
What allowed the axle to rotate up, it had to be that control arms either on the axle or on the frame let go. All of them are replaceable.

Make sure you check your frame upper control arm mounts. Once a weld or two breaks, even though they are still there they can bend to the rear.

I replaced mine last year. You can also buy ca mounts for the axle.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Wooooo!!!! Tell us the story!

To me it appears the pumpkin has spun from its factory pressed in stock position breaking the rosette welds. It appears to be a Dana 35.

Need more pics of the axle to be able to tell for sure.

You will need a new/used axle. Be sure to get one with the same gear ratio and make sure it isn't out of a right hand drive TJ as the rear track bar mounts will be different.

Reeeeealllly want to hear the story on this one.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll keep adding other picks. Yes it is a D35. The story is not that exciting trust me. All this took was to get pissed off at someone and attempt to pull a hole shot on pavement and all you hear is a huge ugly noise and the jeep just stood there after dumping the clutch. Look below and see pieces of driveshaft all over the pavement. Bad idea huh! I would have thought it would take way more than that to cause this kind of damage. STUPID me! After getting this repaired to be honest I may be looking to get rid of it and get into something with more beefier parts or continue pouring money into this to beef it up. Kind of at a crossroad with her.

Attachments

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I'll keep adding other picks. Yes it is a D35. The story is not that exciting trust me. All this took was to get pissed off at someone and attempt to pull a hole shot on pavement and all you hear is a huge ugly noise and the jeep just stood there after dumping the clutch. Look below and see pieces of driveshaft all over the pavement. Bad idea huh! I would have thought it would take way more than that to cause this kind of damage. STUPID me! After getting this repaired to be honest I may be looking to get rid of it and get into something with more beefier parts or continue pouring money into this to beef it up. Kind of at a crossroad with her.
So it looks like the jamb nut on the upper adjustable control arm is not against the outer part of the ca. Did the threads strip out?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Look at the axle sway bar mount in relationship to the pumpkin in the original picture...same thing with the brake block and vent line. Might be a combination of the upper CA stripped out too. Pretty good carnage either way!

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
upper control arms are busted. the resulting rotation likely busted a bunch of other stuff too.

and you need a new mechanic. based on the suggestion of installing a brand new axle, the one you have now needs to be fired.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will have to take a better look at the upper control arms to confirm the threads being stripped as well. Sorry guys I'm not a mechanic so not understanding the acronyms sometimes. Should I assume CA =control arm. Nonetheless I appreciate all the feedback. Looks like I need a rear axle and now possibly rear upper control arms as well and inspect the brackets on the frame holding them in place? Today he's going to open the rear differential, now I'm curious to know if everything is wasted in there.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Check the upper control arm mounts on the frame really well. Check the upper control arms. I would jack up the rear end and spin the tires first to see if there were any noises or catching in the differential, then check the pinion yoke for any play, then open it up and physically check it. If all looks okay replace the cover and fill with gear oil.

You might have gotten lucky. If all it broke was control arms (ca's) and the drive shaft.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
:popcorn:

Its a good excuse to upgrade axles now.

Dont set up used gears, the chances of getting them perfect are pretty slim with their wear patterns

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys will do. I'm really leaning toward upgrading the axle. The drive shaft is going to be sent out for repair. Looks like no matter the case probably 2k and above to fix this?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Thanks guys will do. I'm really leaning toward upgrading the axle. The drive shaft is going to be sent out for repair. Looks like no matter the case probably 2k and above to fix this?
It all depends on what's wrong. If it is nothing more than your upper control arms and driveshaft, then it's as easy as replacing those. But if there is any other damage in addition to that, then who knows. Definitely check the brake line where it attaches to the frame and axle.

If the innards are toast, D35's are very cheap via craigslist or your local junkyard...just be sure to get the same gear ratio.

A common upgrade is a ford 8.8 if you are unable to locate a D44 but it does require fab skills.

If you do reuse that axle, I would inspect it thoroughly (probably goes without saying).

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
upper control arms are busted. the resulting rotation likely busted a bunch of other stuff too.

and you need a new mechanic. based on the suggestion of installing a brand new axle, the one you have now needs to be fired.
Upper control arms are just fine. They are RE which have a threaded tube welded to the joint barrel and a piece of all thread welded into the arm.

If you look at the pics, the only thing that is misaligned is the center section. All of the brackets on the axle tubes are aligned correctly with the brake vent block bolt pointing almost straight up as it should be.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Check the upper control arm mounts on the frame really well. Check the upper control arms. I would jack up the rear end and spin the tires first to see if there were any noises or catching in the differential, then check the pinion yoke for any play, then open it up and physically check it. If all looks okay replace the cover and fill with gear oil.

You might have gotten lucky. If all it broke was control arms (ca's) and the drive shaft.
He spun the pumpkin on the tubes. It won't be long before he sees gear oil weeping out the sides where the tubes press in and likely through a few of the rosette welds.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, great news, got hold of a local jeeper willing to help me out big time. In the process of getting the jeep to his place so we can do a full assessment and move forward with R&R as needed. Being im very new to Jeeps im absolutely amazed of all the guidance and help you all have to offer. Thanks to all your responses a very uneducated jeep guy has a very good to excellent information of which way to proceed. If you all are interested i will continue to post on this thread updates as we progress. Cant thank you guys enough.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts