Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best rear disc brake conversion kit for a DANA 35 axel with stock 15" steel wheels. SSBC, TeraFlex, or Wildwood? TeraFlex has a disclaimer saying that there kit may inter fear with some stock wheels but not which ones.

Has any body installed a Powertrax no slip traction system, says no gear lash adjustments nesasery.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
What is your goal or reason for wanting to convert your rear drums to disk brakes?

And it is true that no adjustments need to be made to the backlash when installing any lunchbox locker.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Yeah don't convert.
Looked this up when I had my 2000Tj, everyone said to pass on the swap. Ended up just doing all the brakes and she stopped fine.
Now I'm in a 2005 LJ and it's had the rear disc.
Honestly I don't think it stops any better.
The only difference is its easier to change brakes (for those of us who are used to pads vs shoes)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
disk brakes are far superior to drums in every aspect except stopping power. Any extra stopping power would be from incorrectly adjusted / rusted drums. I did the swap on my last jeep, and would do it again. They don't fit with these wheels.

They hit the lip on the wheels. If the wheels don't have a lip on the inner part, they might fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found out that the SSBC brake conversion will fit down to 14" wheels after a talk with the Manufacture.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Save you money and upgrade your front's to the vanco kit. Then swap that D35 for a 8.8 or D44.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Get backing plates for the grand cherokee. Then just use gc brakes and your done.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I considered rear disc brakes once. The rear brakes do so little in braking effort, they mostly add stability when stopping.

My original rear brake shoes were still good when my rear cylinders leaked at 200,000 miles. Unless you are pulling a large trailer, the conversion is like a mail box on an outhouse....not necessary. Put your money in a good stereo!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts