Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The '98 I just picked up needs brakes all the way around. Just wondering if it would be worth the extra cash to upgrade the rear to disc since I'm going to have to gut it down to the backing plates and do everything new anyway.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Short answer is no. 60-80% of stopping power is at the front wheels. If you want upgraded brakes you should start in the front first.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Unless you've got 35s and an auto it's not worth the time spent on what is most likely a d35

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
IMO it's totally worth it. Drum brakes belong in the 70s. You might even get better stopping power because most people don't maintain the drum brakes properly.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,999 Posts
Having actually done a drum to disk brake conversion on my previous TJ, it was totally not worth my time or $$$. There was zero braking improvement. None at all. The only thing better about rear disk brakes is their brake pads are easier to replace than drum shoes are. But that sure wouldn't make it worth it to me to ever do it again.

·
Registered
14,306 Posts
Not a sig improvement on day to day driving

BUt
easier to change friction material
work better when submerged
less heat fade with prolonged use
Less directional park brake if you use disc that don't use drum park function (ie prevent backwards roll better then drums)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Also, if you're rolling backwards downhill and need to stop quickly, the factory drums are horrible. For all the reasons listed, I would choose disks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts