Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a cheap or junkyard disc conversion I could do to my 98 Jeep wrangler? I was thinking I could use the disc bracket and parts from a wrangler that has rear discs but was wondering if they would work.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Is there a cheap or junkyard disc conversion I could do to my 98 Jeep wrangler? I was thinking I could use the disc bracket and parts from a wrangler that has rear discs but was wondering if they would work.

Welcome to the forum. Yes it will work as long as a TJ model.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,391 Posts
Why do you want to convert from rear drum to disks? Are you thinking you'll get better braking or are you after easier maintenance?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
If you're really looking to do that kind of swap, I'd just put a ford 8.8 that has disc breaks. I personally don't find it worth it to swap them out, because it's expensive and the benefits aren't that great.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
im thinking about this rear disc conversion right now...after seeing my rear wheel cylinder leaking...lol

junkyard, cheap as possible. I've got a 44 in the rear so i think i'll stick with that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I used an 8.8 I would have to weld all the brackets on I am looking for something that requires little to no welding. I guess my next step is to find a vehicle to take the parts off of. Any ideas on what all jeeps will work for the conversion? I have already found the axle retaining plates I will just need the breaking system itself.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I went with the ford 8.8. For about $2K I got:
Disc brakes on the back. 4.88 gears (new) rebuilt Traction Lock, 4.88 gears (new) in the front, upper and lower adjustable control arms in the rear, new bearings and install kits all around in the axles. A slip yoke eliminator and adams driveshaft.

I was fortunate in that I got the ford axle and all the gears from someone who had already set it up and welded on the brackets... That was the best and luckiest part of the move.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is a good site if I had a dana 35 but I have a dana 44. Anybody got any ideas on which jeeps came with dana 44s with rear disc brakes besides the later model wranglers?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts