Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removing the Transfer Case (NP 231).
I want to remove the rear drive shaft before removing the TC.

The 4 Bolts on the yolk? close to the TC are Torx head and I have no room to get a torx head socket on them. How can I remove these? Should I just keep the Drive Shaft connected to the TC and take the drive shaft off from the rear and just keep it connected ot the TC. Im removing it so I can manage removing the Transmission a bit easier to install a new Clutch kit :banghead:

Maybe a silly question.. but I have lots of them.

Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Remove the bolt and straps at the u-joints at the axle side then give it a yank.
Don't do this. It works for stock driveshafts, but if you do it with a CV shaft it will separate at the slip joint in the center. I know on mine the bolts look like external torx, but a metric box wrench will fit them. Don't know if yours are the same or not. They have to be able to be unbolted...they were installed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the replies. Im just now a little conflicted with what to do.
Any other input would be greatly appreciated. I am still curious if adjustable control arms would fix the angle of the shaft that "All terrain TJ" commented on?!?!

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I appreciate the replies. Im just now a little conflicted with what to do.
Any other input would be greatly appreciated. I am still curious if adjustable control arms would fix the angle of the shaft that "All terrain TJ" commented on?!?!
Are you sure you don't have adjustable upper control arms? They are normally added when an SYE and CV driveshaft are installed (which I see you have) so the pinion angle can be adjusted. Only your lower control arms are visible in the picture.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Sorry I left you hanging. Yes adjustable uppers will allow you to rotate the axle and lower the pinion. Like Water Dog said check to see if you have them already or post a pic and we can tell you. Given that the pinion looks high, I would be mildly surprisedif you don't.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I do have them!

Rough Country X-Flex

I need to remove them to adjust them correct?
If they have adjusters on both ends then just loosen the jamb nuts and turn the centers. If they are just adjustable on one end, then disconnect that end.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts