Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

after looking at various lift kits I ended up with the OME 2.5" lift kit. I remember reading that I wouldn't need to do an SYE or transfer case drop, but after the lift my driveshaft angle is pretty severe, and my mechanic said he could feel it binding up. So I'm trying to figure out which mod fits the bill. It sounds like the SYE is more work but would provide some future proofing. What has people's experiences been with both? Also, if I did an SYE, would I need a whole new driveshaft, or can I add a double cardon joint to the stock driveshaft?

·
Registered
381 Posts
but after the lift my driveshaft angle is pretty severe, and my mechanic said he could feel it binding up
Got to ask. Was the jeep hanging in the air or was it back on the ground with the vehicle weight compressing the coils?
It will make a big difference.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I did the same lift, but used a 1” motor mount lift + 3 grade 8 washers under each bolt of the skid plate. No vibes after that.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got to ask. Was the jeep hanging in the air or was it back on the ground with the vehicle weight compressing the coils?
It will make a big difference.
It was worse in the air obviously... but still bad on the ground.

Jmr17320 said:
I did the same lift, but used a 1” motor mount lift + 3 grade 8 washers under each bolt of the skid plate. No vibes after that.
Oh great! Thanks for the advice, I'll do this.

Maybe a dumb question. Does the motor mount cause the #6 cylinder to run even hotter? Changing the pitch of the engine scares me.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In that case it is best to leave the Jeep 100% stock and never drive up or down hills. 😉
Right, because any mod you do will tilt the engine back. K bud.

I always heard that the #6 cylinder runs hotter than the rest because of that little tilt the engine has. So wouldn't a MML make it run hotter?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
In that case it is best to leave the Jeep 100% stock and never drive up or down hills. 😉
Right, because any mod you do will tilt the engine back. K bud.

I always heard that the #6 cylinder runs hotter than the rest because of that little tilt the engine has. So wouldn't a MML make it run hotter?
Changing the rake changes the angle of the engine. So does packing the back up with people and cargo.

Except for the far too common transfer case drop, my daily driven engine has lived with a MML for several years, followed by a significantly raised skid a few years ago. I never noticed a change in how the engine behaved from tilting it.

·
Detail Oriented
3,172 Posts
I did a 1" MML and needed to move my fan shroud. (I rednecked it; it's not hard, just tedious.) If you do this do not booger up the original bolt locations; if you ever do a 1" BL as a part of a combo lift you will want that shroud to be returned to its original location.

Good luck.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi,

after looking at various lift kits I ended up with the OME 2.5" lift kit. I remember reading that I wouldn't need to do an SYE or transfer case drop, but after the lift my driveshaft angle is pretty severe, and my mechanic said he could feel it binding up. So I'm trying to figure out which mod fits the bill. It sounds like the SYE is more work but would provide some future proofing. What has people's experiences been with both? Also, if I did an SYE, would I need a whole new driveshaft, or can I add a double cardon joint to the stock driveshaft?
Same boat as you. Please do post up with the outcome of which ever solution you decide to go with.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I did a 1" MML and needed to move my fan shroud. (I rednecked it; it's not hard, just tedious.) If you do this do not booger up the original bolt locations; if you ever do a 1" BL as a part of a combo lift you will want that shroud to be returned to its original location.

Good luck.
If you do a BL/MML together, you don't have to move anything. They make fan shroud relocation brackets too. It takes 10 minutes to install them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts