Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rear Driveshaft play

I have a clunk from the rear occasionally and while re-torquing everything I noticed my stock rear drive shaft has play in it when I when I try and rotate it by hand. Is this normal backlash?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
It is normal for the driveshaft to have some rotational 'play' in it. This is due to a combination of Ring & pinion gear backlash, spider gear backlash, and axle spline clearance.

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
I have a clunk from the rear occasionally and while re-torquing everything I noticed my stock rear drive shaft has play in it when I when I try and rotate it by hand. Is this normal backlash?
If you want to get away from that occasional clunk, invest in a better driveshaft. Or you can remove it and grease the splines (slip-shaft), sometimes that helps.

Compare a stocker with a JE Reel unit...

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spent some time under the jeep today. Looks like the clunk was the spring retainer clips I installed. I used Metalcloak rear spring retainers and I think it was making the upper part of the spring spring shift a little since the bottom was pinned in place with the retainers. I also have synergy wedges to straighten the springs. Took the retainers off and clunk is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spent some time under the jeep today. Looks like the clunk was the spring retainer clips I installed. I used Metalcloak rear spring retainers and I think it was making the upper part of the spring spring shift a little since the bottom was pinned in place with the retainers. Or the spring was binding a little due to the design. I also have synergy wedges to straighten the springs. Took the retainers off and clunk is gone.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice investigative work, I don't think anyone would've ever guessed that.
Lol, believe it or not, I Googled the problem and some guy in a Subaru forum said it was his rear springs. Got me thinking about the parts I just installed and whammo, problem solved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts