Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as I let go of the clutch and try to go the jeep makes a loud grinding noise and I got my friend to check it out while I tried to go and he said the driveshaft will spin and then lock up.. I see the diff plate has a dried fluid spot out of the fill plug an maybe it lost all fluid an that's causing this? Best case scenario I guess but can anyone tell me what fluid I will need and what gasket? Like is a do it yourself gasket better than one specifically made for my axel?

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
The ring an pinion are not dependant on fluid to turn each other. If the drive shaft is spinning and you are not moving, you have big issues. Remove the bolts and take the cover off. RTV is normally used and not a gasket.

·
Registered
144 Posts
sounds expensive..........would def take a look in there, but like Neil said, its not just fluids that are gonna have to be replaced.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The jeep will still move in 2wd it's just like once it makes a full rotation of gears which is very immediate it locks the driveshaft up so hopefully I can get in there before I caused to much damage... I think a tooth sheared off or something I can't say for sure until I get in there though. But the jeep will still move its just the driveshaft locks up

·
Registered
132 Posts
Don't try to drive it, you'll just mess stuff up worse inside. The cover is gonna have to come off to inspect the carnage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts