Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals, I'm new here but on my 3rd TJ (04 X) so I feel as though I know the Jeep pretty well. Currently running a S35, 4.56's, OX locked rear and as of the past few weeks I've been hearing some howling coming from the rear end while accelerating. Let off the gas/coast etc it disappears. If you really listen for it you can hear it through all the gears/any speed but it gets noticeably louder over 70mph. I bought the axle used about 2 years ago and had to rebuild the locker before putting it under the Jeep. I did carrier bearings at that time (should have done the pinion as well) and did my best to get everything lined up/shimmed correctly (first time doing that job). I've always had a slight noise but nowhere near where it is now.

Anyway, all my research is pointing me towards the pinion bearing. I disconnected the driveshaft and with the Jeep on the ground in gear I have some back and forth play in the yoke, I do believe there is supposed to be some play there but I'm not sure how much exactly? Is my thinking correct on the pinion bearing being the culprit? If so, I feel as though I am mechanically inclined enough and I have the tools to do the job. But is there anything else while I am in there that I should check out/replace as well. Is it worth doing the carrier bearings again while it's apart with them being 2 years old? If so i'll plan on buying a master install kit regardless just incase anything else looks worn while I am in there.

I'm actually thinking about selling the Jeep this winter, but would like to take care of the noise before doing so. I'm essentially just looking for some further input. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
583 Posts
From what i know and i hope someone can back me up, if its on accel or decel only the gears are not alligned properly. Pinion bearimgs would howl all the time if bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright thanks for the reply. I guess before I pull anything apart I can put some gear paint on there and see what kind of pattern I get. I probably won't have time to look into it at all until after Wednesday unfortunately.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts