Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I'm new to the wrangler crowd , we just bought a 94 Wrangler that the rear on the driver side is about an inch further back than the other side . The leaf springs have been replaced at some point & they appear to be a little different from side to side . Is it possible to loosen the u-bolts and move the rear or does the bracket have a locating hole to center the leaf on the rear end ?
Thanks in advance Scott

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes they are on a peg and hole centering system. Sounds like you'll need to remove the u bills and relocate the Axel. Hopefully you haven't tweaked any u bolts.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The locating hole will not allow it to be moved; you may have the wrong leaf set, or possibly its in backwards.

It seems you have had a new/second set installed? Lift maybe?

Either way, take some measurements and verify the leafs to each other; Its possible there is something else wrong too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has not been lifted , I will measure the leafs & see if they are different . What are some other things to look at .
Thanks Scott

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
There is a center bolt in the leaf springs that hold the pack of springs together. The head of this bolt sits in a hole on the under side of the axle. There are 3 holes in the saddle.

Sounds like from what you are saying, the center bolt is in the forward hole on the spring saddle which would put the axle about an inch back on that side.

This needs to be fixed, or it going to wear out tires and bearings, from running crooked down the road.

If the center bolt is in the center hole, then its possible that the leaf pack on that side is in backwards, or it isnt the correct leaf pack for your Jeep. You can measure from the forward leaf mount of that spring(where it bolts to the frame) to the center bolt(visible from under the axle) and see if they are the same length from one side to the other.

·
Registered
483 Posts
the frame could be bent

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope the frame isnt bent , here is a pic that you can kinda tell that the tire isnt centered in the wheel well

·
Registered
704 Posts
It could have sheared the pin and leaf pack bolt and simply slid back. It looks kinda dangerous, but easy to see what has happened. Post some picks of the spring perch with the wheel off if you can....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I got the leaf unbolted from the rear , the locating pin on the leaf spring is in the front hole , there is no center hole on the perch just a front & rear one . The rear hole would place it back about 3 inches which would be to far . Could this be the wrong spring ? The spring measures 44.5 inches from center of the bolt hole to bolt hole , the pin is right in the center of the leaf approx 22.5 each way . The spring is made by Crown and has s/2502 on it .
Thanks Scott

·
Registered
483 Posts
i thought off center from the back my bad

·
Not so Newb?
59 Posts
Can you flip the spring around and give that a try?

Also, I went to Crown Automotive's site and looked up their rear springs for the YJ. They don't list their part numbers for everyday customers, so you may want to contact them about their part no. s/2502.

You can contact them here:
Contact Us | Crown Automotive Sales

Try to take a couple of other photos if you can. What do the differential and axle tubes look like? What about the spring and hub assemblies on the passenger side? Is the passenger tire a little too far forward?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I could try turning it around , but the pin is in the center of the leaf so not sure if that would change anything . The spring on the other side is different it doesnt look as heavy duty ,not sure if that would cause it . Is it normanl to only have 2 holes in the spring perch ?
Thanks for the info on Crown auto

·
Not so Newb?
59 Posts
I don't remember, but I'm sure I only have one centering pin with one aligning hole in my u-bolt plate. Not sure about the axle housing perch, but I'll check in tomorrow when there's fresh light out.
No problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you notice the bottom plate that u bolts go thru there is a hole that has been drilled in front of the original hole in the middle, since the perch on the rear housing doesnt have à locating hole in the centre, I guess previous owner drilled it just to get it bolt up . Im going to pull the other leaf spring and see how its done .. maybe the rear has been changed or the perch ?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
best I remember the pin on all of mine have always mounted in the center of the axle spring perch and the center of the ubolt plate

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
^^^yup on factory parts there are no other locations.

Looks like it might be in backwards to me. Let me ask this. What size bolts are in either ends of the springs? The shackle side should be a 1/2 inch bolt with 3/4 head and the solid end should be a 9/16 bolt with a 13/16 head

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Measure the other spring and make sure they are the same.
I never really paid a lot of attention to it honestly, but the best I can remember.......... the factory stuff always has one hole in the center.
After market or weld-on perches I have used on spring over lifts usually have 3 holes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I got the other leaf unbolted and it appears that the pin that goes thru the leaf spring to locate it on the axle perch had rusted off & basically welded itself into the center hole , almost looked like the hole wasnt there . I drilled the hole out best I could & will need to get another leaf spring since it appears this side was the original and fell apart when I unbolted it . So I guess the previous owner replaced driver side leaf & rather than drilling out the hole to mount it correctly they just put it in the front hole .

·
Registered
458 Posts
Glad you found the root of the problem. Sorry it's going to cost a couple of dead presidents to fix. Feels good doing it yourself though, Right?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts