Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Rear End Questions...

901 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  harleydragon 
#1 ·
I recently purched a heavily modified TJ (2000 Sahara). Some of the modifications included a Dana 35 with a 456 ratio, open differential, C Clip eliminators, full floating (rear) axels with Warn locking hubs, (Yes locking hubs in the rear.), and rear disc brakes.

The mods were designed to allow for more rock crawling than I plan to do. I'd like to change the ratio to allow for a more "street friendly" drive. Right now, I start out in 2nd gear when on the road. Here are my questions...
1) What is the best ratio for a daily driver with 33" tires that will be used occasionally off road?
2) If I remove the rear locking hubs, will I also have to go back to drum brakes in the rear? The hubs seem to also act as a spacer that gives the disc brakes the necessary room.
3) Is there anything else I need to consider when mking these modifications?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Please forget the gear ratio question. I did a little research and found that I am actually okay with the 456 and 33's. A 411 or 427 might be a little better, but what I save in fuel economy will be lost in the cost of the changeout.

As for the other questions, I still want to change out the rear locking hubs. I think it is just another thing that I will have to maintain/repair over time. Anyone who has experience with rear locking hubs and aftermarket disc breaks, please shoot me a reply.

Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.