Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Sahara 6 speed, 3:21, limited slip. I've had a thunk in the rear end at take off (sometimes) since about 37,000 miles. I now have just over 180,000. The other day it thunked as usual and then making a turn it had a new thunk and it felt like something moved in the rear end. I drove it a little further and on every turn something feels like it moves from one side to the other and back again at the next turn. It also feels like the rear end is shifting from side to side. Checked everything underneath. All the bushings are good and everything is tight. The drive shaft looks good and has almost no play. Jacked it up and moved the tires forward and back and there seems to be a little noise from the transfer case. Don't know if this is normal or not. Doesn't seem to be any noise from the rear end. Any ideas on what this might be?

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Have you checked the jeep's jack? Sometimes it becomes loose in the cubby and makes a sound. That doesn't explain the shifting feeling though.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Did you look at driver axle side trackbar bracket? Especially if it is stock, they are tinfoil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The jack is tight. Yes 147,000 with the clunk. Had 3 different mechanics check out the original clunking including Chrysler. All 3 said they could hear it but could find nothing wrong. Chrysler made it stop by removing the rear driveshaft and running in 4 high.

I failed to mention it does have a 4 inch lift with a relocation bracket on the rear track bar. It is still the stock track bar though. Everything is tight though.

I hate to tear the rear end apart and just start throwing parts at it. I've never done a rear end before so I don't know what I'm looking for. If there's anyone in the Greenville SC area that can give me a hand please let me know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts