Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just picked up a 2017 Rhino JKU Hard Rock about a month ago and after a whole bunch of mechanical drama (which you can read about on the Power Steering thread if you want...) one day one out of the shop...I got rear ended... :pullinghair:

It was a glancing blow on the driver side that caught the outer edge of the license plate and the underside \ corner of the steel bumper. Cosmetically, it appears to be fine (a little plastic is stuck to it from the guy's bumper skirt).

Anyway, I do notice that the gap between the plastic of the stock fender flare and the corner plastic cap seem to be different (1/4 in? bigger on the side that was hit vs the side that wasn't...meaning it seems to be slightly lower...).

Purely coincidentally, I was in Anaheim last night for the Elton John concert and parked right next to almost my exact jeep. I compared the gapping on the drivers side and passenger side and they seemed to be exactly like mine (bigger on the driver side than passenger side). I can't say for sure this other jeep was never hit...but I looked and it looked like it had never been hit...

Of course on the way in to work today I was passed by another JKU with the Mopar bumpers and it looked even.

So I'm now wondering if there is just variances during install? And if so...is there any amount of adjustment? My bumper doesn't appear to be bent (and neither does the bracket or plastic on that side...). 1/4 inch delta isn't a lot but it's enough to get my finger in on one side and not the other...

Can anyone confirm how theirs looks like? Thoughts on adjustability?

Here's some photos...

Passenger side (slightly different angle but I can't get my finger in)
IMG_20190909_172638.jpg

Driver side
MVIMG_20190909_172614.jpg

<D>
PS: I want my jeep right. The guy that hit me mentioned he would like to avoid the insurance route but would totally understand if I wanted to go that direction (I have all of his info). I'm inclined to work it out between us since my experience with chatting with him is that he's a stand up guy.

·
Super Moderator
22,104 Posts
mine has never been hit and my gap is bigger on the driver side as well. I would chalk it up to the jig that our frames were made on for 12 year was slightly worn out :)..

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I remember mine being different side to side as well. The gaps will also change when you repeatedly smack the rear bumper coming down off a ledge. There is also quite a bit of flex in the rear bumper. Just push on it by hand and you can see the bumper move.

So, I think what you are seeing normal variation.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I figured the put that gap there just to irritate people with OCD when washing their jeep

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hope that you have enjoyed the concert I just did the one in Vegas this past Saturday and it was amazing.

I would go the insurance route and call it a day, get it inspected hopefully nothing is seriously damaged aside that plastic that you mention, if nothing major is broken, get your estimate (preferably the highest one) and ask his insurance for compensation. Use the money for savings or to buy Jeep toys, he will learn the lesson to pay attention.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thread moved from TJ Tech to JK tech.

Hopefully you'll get more answers in this section. :thumb:
I can't believe I did that!! I'm sorry for creating the extra work! Thank you for moving the thread! *FACEPLAM*

:drinks:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mine has never been hit and my gap is bigger on the driver side as well. I would chalk it up to the jig that our frames were made on for 12 year was slightly worn out :)..

Thank you so much on the confirmation. Yeah, mine appears to be *exactly* like yours. (Although you took a much better photo of the passenger side with proper angles.)

I've climbed under it and looked all over and the only thing seems to be the little plastic scuff from his bumper, the cracked license plate holder (which I JUST REPLACED because the PO had removed the tire carrier and put a license plate relocation kit on it.)...and a couple of the nutserts are loose.

<D>

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I remember mine being different side to side as well. The gaps will also change when you repeatedly smack the rear bumper coming down off a ledge. There is also quite a bit of flex in the rear bumper. Just push on it by hand and you can see the bumper move.

So, I think what you are seeing normal variation.
You're right. There is some flex. I had to apply regular downward pressure in order to slide the bolts for the license plate holder in the first time to avoid removing the bumper to do it. (when the PO removed it, he was lazy and just slotted the bottom tabs).

PROTIP: Use a small 90 degree carburetor tuning open ended wrenche to get to those bolts that almost interfere with the bumper.

<D>

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figured the put that gap there just to irritate people with OCD when washing their jeep
You aren't kidding! I'm totally in that OCD category. I really try to be understanding and polite but I know I'm a difficult personality to deal with sometimes because I want things "just right".

After all the drama with getting the jeep sorted, I just dropped off $60 in Modelo Especial cases (requested a 6 pack) and a $50 gift certificate to outback for the owner (he doesn't drink) at the small independent (3-man) shop I frequent as a thank you. My jeep spent the better part of a month going into and out of the shop and they worked to get everything "just right". I'll likely write up a report on them on here soon. Great team of guys that are willing to listen, use your own parts if you want, etc.

It's hard to find someone (much less three guys) like this. Next best thing to doing your own work (when you don't have the time or whatever).

<D>

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hope that you have enjoyed the concert I just did the one in Vegas this past Saturday and it was amazing.

I would go the insurance route and call it a day, get it inspected hopefully nothing is seriously damaged aside that plastic that you mention, if nothing major is broken, get your estimate (preferably the highest one) and ask his insurance for compensation. Use the money for savings or to buy Jeep toys, he will learn the lesson to pay attention.
The show was absolutely fantastic. I'm glad I didn't miss one of his last performances. (It was the first time I saw him live). I only hope I have the same amount of energy he showed at his age (72) if I get there. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Go the insurance route. I know this from experience. The guy gave me a sob story so I cut him a break. Then he stopped returning my calls, and skipped town. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Lesson #1: Someone who runs into you will never be your friend or someone you can trust. #2 Go the insurance route. Don't ask me how I know.
agreed, go the insurance route, that is why you pay for it anyways, it is there use it.....these insurance companies aren't meant to be your friends either, they provide a service and it meant to be there if you need it.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts