Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 2018 Recon parked in front of my house over the weekend and it was hit from behind while parked. The driver was an older man who was either having a medical issue or just couldn't see well at night and he slammed into the left side of my jeep at about 25-30 MPH. Amazingly his airbags did not deploy but other than being very dazed, he seem to be uninjured which is good. His car was a mess though. Cosmetically speaking, my jeep is not as bad as I thought it would be but it needs a good bit of work; bumper, rock rails and door damage as well a BFG mud tire that needs replacement which is the last thing that I want !

My larger concern is what is happening with the undercarriage. Is there any frame damage? Anyone have a sense if mechanical issues can occur when your transmission is in park and your vehicle gets slammed forward 4' at this speed? An alignment check seems in order. Could it damage gears though? Any other things I should look for as I work with the insurance appraiser?

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hope the energy from impact was absorbed by the tire / bumper / physically pushing the jeep / other car crumpling like a RC Cola can.....

Considering the tire blew and that area was the primary impact location, I'd be concerned about the brake rotor/caliper, axle flange, axle housing, bearings, control arms, frame, etc... The only way a transmission/transfer case would be hurt by an impact like that is if the drive shaft gets jammed forward, but since the impact was off-center of the axle, that wouldn't be my primary concern - but still possible.... Of course I'm only speculating - I'm sure the mechanic will tell you what it needs.

If things in the front are out of alignment, it's because the impact caused frame damage. At that point, if you have frame damage that needs fixed, you might be totaled and an alignment will be the least of your worries. Won't hurt to do an alignment though if you want if you're not totaled though.

Maybe a good time to take the money and get yourself a Dana 60 rear axle! Being a newer rubicon, may not be enough to total it, but who knows. Sucks man.

·
Premium Member
2012 JKU Rubi
488 Posts
Man, with a hit like that, I would image there HAS to be frame damage. I got hit like that by a red light runner in the front driver side. I had to get a new hood, axle, quarter panel, bumper, fender & frame.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Good luck man, so sorry, at least all is ok. keep us updated.

·
Retired Moderator
103,209 Posts
O'boy, sorry that great looking Recon, has that damage. Also..FYI, your wrangler now has a record of damge. Therefore, it just depreciated 20% in value. So make sure that his Insurance company, reimburses you for that lost amout. If you think that this is not the case, just talk with your Dealer about trade in value prior to accident, and then after accident.

·
Premium Member
2012 JKU Rubi
488 Posts
it just depreciated 20% in value. So make sure that his Insurance company, reimburses you for that lost amount.
Very true. Not all states recognize 'Diminished Value', but if yours does, the insurance company won't volunteer that information freely. You typically want to get it inspected by a pro for that purpose. Usually in the $200-300 range. You produce that, and they generally cave immediately.

·
Registered
2016 JKU Sahara (Black)
40 Posts
I literally just had this happen to me a few months ago with my tundra…but instead of a truck I got hit by a Bobcat. 5500 dollars worth of damage but fortunately no frame issues. I just sold that truck for more than I bought it for.

·
Retired Moderator
103,209 Posts
Very true. Not all states recognize 'Diminished Value', but if yours does, the insurance company won't volunteer that information freely. You typically want to get it inspected by a pro for that purpose. Usually in the $200-300 range. You produce that, and they generally cave immediately.
In AZ, it is 20% of the evaluation of ones vehicle. My Daughter went through this a couple of years ago, with her one year old BMW. The Insurance co didn't want to honor it. So she got a letter from her Dealer confirming this. Then her Attorny sent a letter along with the letter from her Dealer. BINGO, she got paid big bucks in the thousands, not hundreds.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Could they try to argue that the value isn't diminished as much due to the current used car market prices compared to the price of the car when it was new?

Or do they just say 20% (or whatever) of the current used value?

·
Premium Member
8,953 Posts
The worst part about the BFG KM is they are no longer available. Once production ended on the JK/JKU Rubicons BFG discontinued the tire as it was only available in the 255/75R17 size at the end. You can replace it with a KM3 if you desire, but if you are not going off into the mud and rocks, I would suggest you go with the KO2.

If you had some photos taken in the daylight both straight on to the doors and from the rear at an angle we can tell more. Copying and enlarging the photo does not show any damage to the left rear wheel, in spite of the flat tire. The tire may have been damaged but the wheel not. If you have a tire dealer you do business with, take it to them have them check the tire and put the wheel without the tire and rotate it by hand to check the run out. Using a pointer they can check if the wheel is still true.

If his insurance company starts giving you grief, work through yours. They have heavy duty lawyers to counter this ins. co. heavy duty lawyers. You would have to cover your deductible until they collect from the other ins. co. Just remember, your ins. company works for you, his insurance company does not. They could care less if you are not satisfied. In fact you should contact your ins. co. now if you haven't already.

Reactions: SilverbulletJKU1775

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here in Mass., the insurance companies are not required by law to cover diminished value. You can file a claim of course but there are a few court cases on the books that have not gone in favor of the plaintiff which is odd in a consumer friendly MA. That aside, the driver's insurance is being cooperative so far and secured me a rental, is willing for to provide a flatbed tow to the shop but we are still in the dating phase. We'll see how much damage has really been done and then see how they play. Meanwhile, I have been speaking with my insurance company and I will get their take on the diminished value but it does not seem favorable.

In the world of tires and assuming the jeep is not a total loss from some hidden problem, I had been looking at new tires all the way around but larger, either 255/80's or 285/75's. Pizza cutters are preferable for New England winters. I may just need to make that decision sooner and request a mismatched tire and make it my spare temporarily.

·
Registered
950 Posts
There is a parking pawl in the transmission. It's what keeps it from moving while in park. It could be jacked. Good thing you have the video.
Accidents happen, glad nobody was seriously injured.
Nice Jeep btw!

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Crankset Gear

·
Registered
2015 Anvil JKUR Hard Rock.
657 Posts
Northshore what is going on with your Recon?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for asking. The good news, I think, is that she has been deemed fit for repair and not even close to totaled. It’s still at the shop but I may get it back later this week. Cosmetic work amounted to about $5K per the appraiser. Once at the shop though they determined that there were some suspension components that needed replacement. Frame was straight as was the axle. More details to come in a few days.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE: I picked up my Recon from the auto body shop yesterday. She looks as good as new but I still need to put her through the paces to see. It turns out that the control arms were bent so they had to replace those. Sounds like the appraiser goofed when pricing out the rock rails as Sport running boards. He did the same with the bumper too so the cost of the repair will be much higher than estimated. It’s covered by the other guys insurance either way.

They put it on the alignment rack and gave me the report. I was surprised that the caster was so low on a stock Jeep although I guess it makes sense given the spring height of the Recon. And it is a little flighty at 75. Geobrackets for a stocker?

Anything else look amiss to anyone?

·
Registered
2015 Anvil JKUR Hard Rock.
657 Posts
Glad you got her back. Probably not geo brackets, as your lower arm are probably pretty flat. But maybe some adjustable control arms? My pinion angle is about 2 degrees so i know my caster is about 4 degrees. Not bad but i would like it to be less flighty too. But about 70 i start getting mild vibes.... don't like 80+.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE PART 2:
Stop the celebration. After driving her around town I noticed a creaking or scraping sound when I gently applied the brakes. I brought it back and they took a closer look at the brakes, replaced the pads, inspected the parking brake and set me on my way.

Get half way home and I hear it again. Irritated, I go back today and they do a deeper dive. We’ll it turns out the rear end has a wobble to it on the left side where it was hit. Why they didn’t look for this in the first place is beyond me. I literally asked the manager if the axle was true and he said it all came back good. Seems like checking the axle would be the first thing you do mechanically on a hit like this. The upside is that the insurance company is in too deep to stop now and the shop owner refuses to put a used rear end or do it piecemeal which I concur with.

Another perfect NE fall weekend coming without the Jeep. This is painful.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
UPDATE PART 2:
Stop the celebration. After driving her around town I noticed a creaking or scraping sound when I gently applied the brakes. I brought it back and they took a closer look at the brakes, replaced the pads, inspected the parking brake and set me on my way.

Get half way home and I hear it again. Irritated, I go back today and they do a deeper dive. We’ll it turns out the rear end has a wobble to it on the left side where it was hit. Why they didn’t look for this in the first place is beyond me. I literally asked the manager if the axle was true and he said it all came back good. Seems like checking the axle would be the first thing you do mechanically on a hit like this. The upside is that the insurance company is in too deep to stop now and the shop owner refuses to put a used rear end or do it piecemeal which I concur with.

Another perfect NE fall weekend coming without the Jeep. This is painful.
Supposed to rain all day Saturday, so there's that at least. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts