Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys took off my front freedom panels yesterday and noticed that upon screwing it in, the Rear Fastener Knob seems to have scratched the underneath. Is this normal? How tight should they be (i turn it to where it can't turn lightly by hand anymore) and is there a way to protect it? (undercoat or w.e. so it doesn't rust?)

Also, they seem to squeak when screwing it in, any way to fix?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I took out those screws on Day 1 and have never put them back. I'm not sure of their purpose or how important they are

·
Registered
104 Posts
Where exactly did they scratch? I can't envision "the underneath"...? Mine do not squeak at any time. I don't normally use them, although I did this weekend in the freedom-panel-only configuration!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i can just take them out and it wont leak? The hole where the rear fastener knob goes in, on the bar its apinted like the rest of the car. And screwing it in causes it to squeak here and there. Perhaps i should lubricate it or something?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Just take them out, you don't need them unless you decide to run with the freedom panels and the rear part of the roof off. Mine came out day 1 when I took the freedom panels off and I have never put them back on. no leaks or any other issue with not having them in.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You can leave them out or just screw them in finger tight. They do not need to be white knuckle tourqued.

A little lube will help any squeeks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will do, i hand tighten them so was curious as to why. If i can ill prob just pop them out. I usually take the fronts off. What kind of lube bw?

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have a 2017 JKU Sport. If the hand screws are loose we get a fair amount of wind noise when on the throughway above 60 mph. Snug em down, wind noise down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts