Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Rear fender flare chip repair

7K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Uncle Uef 
#1 ·
I got my JK with plenty of chips in my white painted rear flares. Does someone make a cover. What would be the best way to refinish that area. Repaint would require a lot of sanding to get the chips out. Also thought of vehicle wrap material. I have searched for an overlay with no luck.

#3 ·
Just spit balling this..... I'd probably try taping off a nice defined area and using a white Plastidip rattle can because IF the area chipped once it will again so the solution isn't a once and done anyway...
Done correctly it will be DL yet look intentional.
That's my contribution.

#4 ·
I'm in the same boat.

Local shop said he can repaint and then overlay some clear vinyl or something. I have yet to get it into the shop to get it dealt with. I've since put some Ace Engineering rock rails on which has reduced the amount of rocks pelting the rear flares.
The rear door hinges are way uglier (and rusty as all hell).

#5 ·
Its a jeep, not a car. Live with the scratches, dents, fading paint and what ever cosmetic character marks you get. Jeep are made to absorb all that stuff. If you are using your jeep for what it was made for---ah never mind you wouldn't understand. Hope you don't take this seriously. Enjoy your jeep your way just like I have enjoyed mine for the last 40+years

#6 ·
Without filling in the chipped spots to level them out or sanding them down, no matter what you spray or wrap over it, the chips will show.

That's the bad part of having pretty fenders.

You can fix chips yourself with correct touch up paint, but it's a building process where you keep adding paint and building it up above the rest of the area, then sanding and compounding it back out. It's not as easy as it sounds to make it look good.

#8 ·
Way to late for the clear film. Jeep is white with lots of black trim so thinking of masking and sanding lightly the chipped area then applying some type of bed coating. Thought there might be someone making a guard like the door sill thing. I know I should just take them all off or install flatfenders but I got too much free time and for now the factory white ones will look just fine to me.

#9 ·
Ah the proverbial fender flare question. The painted ones get chipped and the black satin textured require fairly frequent 303, especially for those of us that live in rainy areas. Going with some aftermarket flares such as Poison Spyder or Bushwackers is certainly a good option for both issues. There are a ton of styles and options available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.