Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few rear bumpers with holes for lights. I would like to get lights that can run as rear "fog" lights that are red and backup lights. I would wire them to only illuminate if I turned on the front fog lights and to change to white if I'm in reverse. I'd like high output also.

Do these lights exist?

·
Super Moderator
8,195 Posts
A little different but I have the solid brake light and the cubes are white for backup and I can flip them yellow with a switch (they have both yellow and white LEDs).

I think the cubes are Lifetime or something like that.

Attachments

Reactions: Bonker

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
They are out there but mostly on the other side of the pond so I would think that you would have to order those from a UK vendor. You might call up Susquehanna Motorsports 610-944-3233 (Rally Lights, Hella, TerraTrip, Hans, WRC, ZAMP) because they are a big importer of Hella products and do a lot of race car stuff. I know Hella will make those kind of lights at least in surface mount so maybe they would have a lead. Other than that, call up Rigid and maybe you could talk them into making up a new product line.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would wire them to only illuminate if I turned on the front fog lights

Do these lights exist?
why?

do you do a lot of driving in reverse in the fog

·
Registered
487 Posts
why?

Regular tail lights are less than useless in dense fog. In the UK, I recall that cars have a rear facing red fog light that will penetrate dense fog and make it easier for your vehicle to be seen by those coming up behind. When i had my VW Rabbit, i had a friend of mine in the UK send me one of those lights so i could install it on the rear bumper. It was wired to only come on with the front fog lights. I'm a believer! If we had fog here in Phoenix, I would probably install one on each of my vehicles. Come to think of it, we do have some nasty dust storms ....... hmmmmmm.

Reactions: Bonker

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
...Come to think of it, we do have some nasty dust storms ....... hmmmmmm.
I thought of that too when I first moved here but then I got into my 1st haboob and my huge Hella 4000's were useless in a moderate dust storm. The light stopped 5' in front of the vehicle. Luckily I was on city streets and could pull into a parking lot. Had I had rear fog lights they would never be seen before the moment of impact.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why?

No. Exactly as chaszur said, they are lower red lights for use in fog. I would utilize the same switching mechanism as a simple solution. If I wanted to back up, while using fog lights, or offroad when I'd invariably have my fog lights on also, I would also like to have bright white lights for backup illumination.

Funny?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts