Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I am upgrading my rims and tires from the factory 18's on a 2013 JKU to 17" Black Rock Type D Series 909B rims with MT 33"s tires. I am concern about the weight of the new spare putting undue stress on the hinges and welds. Should I be and if so what is the best way to help support the new spare?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
It would help if you told us what the weight of the new wheel/tire combo is here, so no one has to go look it up. You might get more answers that way. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hello everyone.

I am upgrading my rims and tires from the factory 18's on a 2013 JKU to 17" Black Rock Type D Series 909B rims with MT 33"s tires. I am concern about the weight of the new spare putting undue stress on the hinges and welds. Should I be and if so what is the best way to help support the new spare?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
I have stock 17" wheels with 35" Big O all terrains, and have the spare mounted on the tailgate via a mount extender. I have not noticed any sagging, bending, or any difference in the way the rear door opens or closes. I have been told that 33" is as big as you might want to go, but my 35" don't seem to be doing any damage. I have had them on for almost a year now. I even got rear ended a few months ago, and all she hit was the spare. I had the spare checked for balance, and gave the gate a real good inspection, and didn't see anything amiss. I do plan on a swing away spare holder on an aftermarket bumper eventually, but until then, the stock spare mount is doing just fine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I drove with a 285/70-16 Wrangler DuraTrac (just slightly under 33") on Ultra Drifter for three years, taking 7000km (Kanadian miles) road trips every summer for three years until I traded the 2011 Sahara in for a 2015 Rubi, and never had any tailgate sagging issues.
A 33" fits easily into the stock position, so you should have no issues. Your going to run steel rims so you might weigh in little more than my aluminum rim (an additional 15lbs) but not substantially more.
topbanana

·
Registered
78 Posts
Your going to run steel rims so you might weigh in little more than my aluminum rim (an additional 15lbs) but not substantially more.
topbanana
The Series 900-910 (except the 905) are aluminum wheels, so no weight concerns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts