Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched here and even googled, but I came up empty.

Our JKU is our daily driver and the kids are always riding in the back. The only way for them to keep warm is for us to roast up front. Have any of you tried some kind of mod to pump some air back there. I am thinking maybe get some kind of duct off of a suv that will run in the floor and steal some air from the floor vents up front. I could get some flex vents and duct tape to the vents in the dash, but that would look real *******. Anyone got any ideas???

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
terminator012 said:

Our JKU is our daily driver and the kids are always riding in the back. The only way for them to keep warm is for us to roast up front. Have any of you tried some kind of mod to pump some air back there. I am thinking maybe get some kind of duct off of a suv that will run in the floor and steal some air from the floor vents up front. I could get some flex vents and duct tape to the vents in the dash, but that would look real *******. Anyone got any ideas???
Coats are cheaper.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Terminator - wish I had an answer for you. I'm surprised I can type considering that I'm still rolling on the floor from jcossey's comment.

That said, my kids are always hot...course its only in the 40s and 50s up here right now. I run the heater...warm em up...then crack the window so I can breathe!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
In a past life, I had an FJ55 LWB Toyota Land Bruiser which had a rear heater on the floor behind the center console. It included a fan which was switched on at the dash, and the heater pipes ran from the engine to heat it up.
It worked really well, but I rarely, if ever, sat in the back seat.. It would be a simple install if you could ever find a good one as this was about 30 years ago.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Go to Amazon and type in 12V heater. I say there because not only do they have several choices but you can read customer reviews on them. Many of these are crap and break real easy so only buy one with excellent reviews

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

A couple of heavy blankets would be easier.:D I have one in the back of my TJ with a couple of pillows... My kids love it.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. Sorry for the slow response, went wheelin at Turkey Bay today.

Oh well, it was a thought. I will check out the 12 volt heaters or get some more coats or blankets:rofl:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Coats and a blanket have always worked well (although I may upgrade them to a Snuggie to avoid the "he/she has more blanket than me" arguments). I don't think I've ever heard my kids say they were cold back there even though we are in the low twenty's most of the winter.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Fleece throws are wonderful to keep stashed under the back seat for the kids.... I always have a couple back there. They don't take up much room, and are a God send on topless evenings when it turns cool, and the kids start turning blue... :)

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fleece throws are wonderful to keep stashed under the back seat for the kids.... I always have a couple back there. They don't take up much room, and are a God send on topless evenings when it turns cool, )

I know. When I first got the TJ, the temp was in the 80's so we decided to take a ride down through the bottoms. WE had the top off and were having fun. The sun went down and the temp dropped 20 degrees. All we had on were shorts and a tee. The last 10 miles home I think I drove 10 mph to keep from freezing. Learned right then, throws and sweatshirts are a must to keep in the Jeep:D

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought some 12v heated blankets to keep the wifey and kids from stealing my sweatshirt to cover up their legs with. The only thing I had to do was add a 12v outlet to the passenger side and one to the back. They love them.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
I bought some 12v heated blankets to keep the wifey and kids from stealing my sweatshirt to cover up their legs with. The only thing I had to do was add a 12v outlet to the passenger side and one to the back. They love them.

Oooooh! :D Where'd you find those???

·
Registered
266 Posts
Supposedly it's not a good idea to put kids under electric blankets and such. Something about elctromagnetic fields.

I would think it would be fairly straightforward to find something a little narrower than the flexi ducts used on clothes dryers and find a way to clip it to a front vent and then they can have the other end in the back with them.

·
Just a kid at heart...
14,315 Posts
Electromagnetic fields only come from things using alternating current (AC)). Not generated by direct current (DC). In a former job, I worked in an electromagnetic effects lab for NASA.

·
Just a kid at heart...
14,315 Posts
Me, personally? I carry 2 airplane blankets wrapped to the roll bars in the back. The girls use them as required.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts