Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm switching from the normal factory set up on my 97 TJ to flush insert oval tail lights and oval back up lights. When I wire the tail lights up I only get the brights for braking, the dims don't show unless I disconnect the wire for brights. Also, my reverse lights light up with brakes and tail lights but not when placed in reverse. I have tried every combo of wire setups and even followed them to know what wire is for what and looked up a diagram. I've been all over the forums and found no answer. Now my original lights gave no problems and I even wired them back on and they still work as previous. I'm lost here, need some serious help please.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea i could see it self grounded on the plate. Ground is fine for the new lights. If it wasn't then they wouldn't light up at all.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Yea i could see it self grounded on the plate. Ground is fine for the new lights. If it wasn't then they wouldn't light up at all.
Test your new lights connected directly to a battery. If these are led's, they will only work one direction. Could be that the wire colors on the lights don't match the instructions.

A bad ground could cause some to light by using the other hot as a floating ground...make sure your grounds are good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No instructions with them. The wires are black/ground, white/low light, red/bright light. On my TJ White with black stripe/ back up bulb, then white wire and green with black stripe wire go to tail light bulb. I believe white is tail, green is turn and brake. No matter the combination I've tried the leds light up bright when lights are on, not low and reverses come on with them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now granted, when the light switch is off, the turn and brake lights work as should(yes they blink fast as well because I haven't bought the electric relay yet) but reverse lights come on too. I'm fairly experienced with wiring in a vehicle and this issue is making no sense except possibly the leds are crap that I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H3CED8W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017W81OPM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
They do work when directly connected to the battery as each wire should. Grounds are fine.
Then you have something miswired. According to what you have said, it sounds like part of your issue is that you may have picked up the lead that feeds your high center brake light instead of the tail light. Use a meter or test light to verify which circuit you are on or check the fsm for the wire colors...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not the center brake, I'm using the wires directly off the tail lights. I have pulled up several wiring diagrams and matched the wires based off that and get those results. However, I have switched the wires around with same results several times. That's why this isn't making sense and giving me a serious headache. :pc-ouch:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Sounds like your lights are junk possibly. With LED's you get what you pay for.....
In that ad it has the wire color code. It says nothing about backup light wire color. Could that be your problem???
3 Wire Connections:

Black Wire - Ground

Black+Red - high brightness, 100% brightness

Black + White - low brightness, 50% brightness

Gonna get on my soap box for a second here.
I've seen many threads on this and other forums about the hassles/horrors of trying to replace incandescent lights with LED lights on TJ's and other vehicles.

Just seems more of a hassle than it's worth.... Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
In the original harness you should have these colors:

The tail lights (dimmer) wire is black/yellow. (may look black/white)

The stop/turn lights (brighter) wires are dark green/red for left & brown/red for the right.

The back up (reverse) lights wire is violet/black. (may look white/black)

Colors fade with time so be sure you have the correct wires. Use a test light as WD said to be sure you have them correct.

That kit shows 2 pair, one red set & one white set. You have 2 lights for each side, one red (tail/turn/stop), the other white (back up), right??

Assuming so, for the red you need the black/yellow wires going to the white wire & the dark green/red for left & brown/red for the right going to the red wires on their respective sides. The black getting grounded to the tub. For the white ones the violet/black going to the white (or red if you want brighter back ups) & the black to the tub.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
In the original harness you should have these colors:

The tail lights (dimmer) wire is black/yellow. (may look black/white)

The stop/turn lights (brighter) wires are dark green/red for left & brown/red for the right.

The back up (reverse) lights wire is violet/black. (may look white/black)

Colors fade with time so be sure you have the correct wires. Use a test light as WD said to be sure you have them correct.

That kit shows 2 pair, one red set & one white set. You have 2 lights for each side, one red (tail/turn/stop), the other white (back up), right??

Assuming so, for the red you need the black/yellow wires going to the white wire & the dark green/red for left & brown/red for the right going to the red wires on their respective sides. The black getting grounded to the tub. For the white ones the violet/black going to the white (or red if you want brighter back ups) & the black to the tub.
This^^^^^

·
Registered
157 Posts
No instructions with them. The wires are black/ground, white/low light, red/bright light. On my TJ White with black stripe/ back up bulb, then white wire and green with black stripe wire go to tail light bulb. I believe white is tail, green is turn and brake. No matter the combination I've tried the leds light up bright when lights are on, not low and reverses come on with them.
LED Flush Mount Tail Lights - 2

Great write up on LED tail lights and wiring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts