Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently added EZ-Locker to rear of Jeep. after about 30 miles the diff. cover is noticably hotter that before. I use a good synth. fluid and have no other problems. does anyone know if I should worry? You can touch the cover, but its quite hot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
With any new locker, they advise you to run it for 30 miles, and then let it all cool down. Do that repetitively, for the first 500 miles, it all has to seat. After that you can wheel the heck out of it. No four wheeling for the first 500 miles. That is the recommendation, anyway.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
When you put the locker in did you change gears also? If so then jeepsrus is spot on. Otherwise if you just took out the ring and put everything back in the same you shouldn't need to take the extreme precautions as when you are breaking in new gears. The diff will indeed get hot when you are running it's just the nature of moving parts in the driveline. A lot of tech's will actually read the diff temp after installing gears as a gauge of how it's doing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NO, I didn't change the gears, But due to work travel,i've put about 500mi, in about 30mi incraments anyway. I'm a fulltime mechanic, so I have alot of l/s and open diff.s to compare it to, but no locked diff.s. I'll take its temp. tomarrow and let you know, but it's hot.I'm worried because i'm going to take it 150mi away this weekend I'll be towbaring it but thats still friction.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
temp is about 320dg.F after 30 mi. thats the outside cover with an infrared pyrometer. anyone have one to compare it to?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Man I honestly don't know. But that sounds ridiculously hot. I don't think that its meant to run quite that hot. How thick of oil are you running? 90w? I've heard that royal purple can work wonders for gears, but I would just call your local four wheel parts or someone of that nature who could give you a definite answer. A regular diff just doesn't get anywhere near that hot and I wouldn't think it would be night and day just cause its locked.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would say that you are running about 140 deg. to hot. Something is not seated, installed, right. Your temp should not be much more than 180 deg. give or take 10 deg. Something is creating too much friction.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeh thats what I thought. I'm running a 80 wieght synth. gear oil. have double checked install and have no compitant 4x4 shops in the area. also got no reply from Richmond ( sorry, earlier I said EZ locker, its a Lock Right) It's not ratheting constantly and still no noises. Thats ok If I blow it, I'll replace it with the 8.8 posi I was just GIVEN!I would think that without spider gears rolling around that would eliminate 1 friction point and lower the temp. atleast on a mostly straight run. Well thanks for the info. I'll let you know what happens, I'm heading to Paragon offroad park here in PA tomarrow.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
That is definitely way too hot. When you put the locker in did you remove the case? Because it sounds like you have too much back lash. I know for a 44 it should be between .006 - .008. I would assume that the 8.8 should be close to that also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts