Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a Kent Moore J-36306 Rear Crankshaft Oil Seal Installer tool.
I’ve found them on eBay for $50. (Used only once of course)
I just hate to spend that money for a tool that I will use for just 1 minute and probably never again.
Does anyone know of a parts store that has one as a loaner tool?
Or would anyone here be kind enough to loan one to me? I’ll pay the postage of course.
I already have the oil pan gasket, main oil seal, rear transfer case seal, and even purchased a transmission jack.
This seal replacement ranks up there as one of the most time consuming and meticulous repairs to be done on a 2.5L.
I just need that oil seal installer tool because I want to avoid any issues and frustration with installing the seal (with the engine still in the frame) Hook a fellow Jeeper up.
Cheers, Tim

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know about the 2.5L but the 4.0L six cylinder does not require a special tool. Just a bronze drift/punch to move the seal out of the channel. I just looked up the tool you are asking about. I would suggest a socket of the same diameter as the seal. drive the seal home with the socket and a hard rubber mallet. Look on youtube for how to videos.
I may have misunderstood which seal you were talking about. I thought you were asking about the rear main seal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know about the 2.5L but the 4.0L six cylinder does not require a special tool. Just a bronze drift/punch to move the seal out of the channel. I just looked up the tool you are asking about. I would suggest a socket of the same diameter as the seal. drive the seal home with the socket and a hard rubber mallet. Look on youtube for how to videos.
I may have misunderstood which seal you were talking about. I thought you were asking about the rear main seal.
Thanks Yellowfever, however a 2.5L Rear Main Oil Seal Replacement is a totally different animal compared to a 4.0L replacement. I like your advice using a large socket. I’ve seen a video of it hammered in with an exhaust pipe coupling that had duct tape wrapped over the sharp edges.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts

Reactions: Sonny S
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.