Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mechanic told me that the rear main seal is leaking. I looked under the Jeep and saw moist oil stains between the oil pan and transmission, but the my Jeep has yet to leave only stains on the carport floor and the oil level is fine. Do the 2004 TJ Sports have a on or two-piece seal? I've read that the two piece only requires removing the oil pan. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
If it's not actually dripping I wouldn't worry about it. Of course a very small amount of oil is always going to seep past the seal. Oil and crud always builds up faster underneath the crank and on the oil pan on mine but doesn't drip. Original seal on mine FYI, 15 years old and 120,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It hasn't left any oil spots on the carport, so I'm not going to worry about it for now. I'll just keep an eye on it and check the oil regularly. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Mine's been like that as long as I can remember. My driveway is clean of any oil other than me being sloppy changing the oil filter occasionally. Some mechanics look for any way to pull off a time consuming, high labor, easy fix

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can believe that, especially for a few hundred bucks. I should have taken to the dealer before the warranty expired this past October, but they probably would have denied that it was leaking. Thanks for he input. Have a good one!

Mine's been like that as long as I can remember. My driveway is clean of any oil other than me being sloppy changing the oil filter occasionally. Some mechanics look for any way to pull off a time consuming, high labor, easy fix

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I will be changing mine in the next month or 2. it leaves a drop or 2 everywhere I park it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I took mine to a shop to do it. It was 330 to do it and told me if it leaks again he said free fix so holllaa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts