Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a leaking seal, shocker. I had it replaced at the local Goodyear shop. It was then leaking worse. So, I took it back and they replaced the seal again. First time I drove the jeep for any distance it seemed to be leaking again. Very slightly, but leaking.

Think this is bad luck, poor mechanic work, other issue?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Bad mechanic is your issue. I guarantee you that they did not use the correct RTV sealant when putting the seal surfaces back together. They also likely failed to torque things properly or seat the RMS gasket and oil pan gasket.

I have a strong personal opinion based on many experiences that as a general rule in this country, as each years passes people care less and less about the quality of their work. A symptom of this is that good mechanics are very hard to find anymore. The likes of Goodyear, Firestone, and other national chains will typically overcharge you and then do lousy work anyway.

These days, you need to either do the work yourself, or if you are lucky you might find a local "mom and pop" type repair shop where there is an old grissled guy who actually knows how to do work and for a fair price. The shop may be run down looking, no glitzy signs or on-line coupons, but your Jeep won't leak after they do the rear main seal.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Bad mechanic is your issue. I guarantee you that they did not use the correct RTV sealant when putting the seal surfaces back together. They also likely failed to torque things properly or seat the RMS gasket and oil pan gasket.

I have a strong personal opinion based on many experiences that as a general rule in this country, as each years passes people care less and less about the quality of their work. A symptom of this is that good mechanics are very hard to find anymore. The likes of Goodyear, Firestone, and other national chains will typically overcharge you and then do lousy work anyway.

These days, you need to either do the work yourself, or if you are lucky you might find a local "mom and pop" type repair shop where there is an old grissled guy who actually knows how to do work and for a fair price. The shop may be run down looking, no glitzy signs or on-line coupons, but your Jeep won't leak after they do the rear main seal.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

I had a rear main seal, I read up on how to do change it and I was about to do it when I just called my pops to see how much his friend from out in the boonies would charge me to replace the RMS. He quoted me $130 and I bring all the parts. At that point, I just took everything to him. He's an old man in his upper 60s or early 70s but he knew his shit! His shop was located out in the sticks with on a dirt road. It was not even a garage, just a big open car port with 3 old lifts and junk all over the damn floor. This was a shop I would never think about dropping my jeep off at since it is a very rural neighborhood with no security.

The worst part is, the old man think he still lives in the time where you can sleep with your doors unlocked and leave your keys in your ignition. To my surprise, he left my keys in the ignition the whole time while it was there. :jawdrop:

Anywho, he knew his shit! My RMS leak is gone for good. Check your valve cover though. I've read that those could be a culprit to generating such a small leak.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I replaced the valve cover gasket after suspecting a possible RMS leak and reading up on the forums. The gasket was the culprit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts