Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of replacing the rear main seal on my brother's 2.5L Wrangler. Is a special installation tool needed to get this thing seated correctly? I already have the transfer case, trans, oil pan, clutch and flywheel removed for other reasons (leaky clutch slave/throwout bearing).

Also, any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
698 Posts
looking forward to the answer because mine is starting to leak as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just found this a few minutes ago (check out page 11):
http://jeepgarage.free.fr/OWN/2.5l 4 cyl vin h.pdf

The article referred to a "shim" for an "old type oil seal" and to a tool (J-36306). I already purchased a new one piece seal. I haven't removed the old one yet. I just want to make sure that I can get a new one installed without issue. I will loosen the bolts on the end of the crank if that helps...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick update...took out the old rear main seal yesterday. I simply removed the rear main bearing cap and lightly pulled up on the seal with a flat head screwdriver to remove. I wiped down the area but have not installed the new seal. The Haynes instruction manual said to lube the inner part of the new seal with moly grease, lube the outer part with oil, tap the seal into place, and then reinstall the main bearing cap after putting a couple of drops of "anaerobic sealant" (Loctite 515 or equiv) on the main bearing cap.

I am gonna try to buy some of this sealant today on the way home from work...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it in yesterday. Couldn't find Loctite 515, so I used "Permatex Hylomar Universal Blue Racing Formula Gasket Dressing & Flange Sealant" from Advance Auto. It's supposed to be good for Main Bearing Caps. The stuff is also supposed to be fine for differential covers, so I plan to use the rest of the tube when I change the diff fluids...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts