Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small oil leak, a drip or two a day. Had it when I bought it late last summer. Dealer wanted 500 to 600 to fix it. What would be a reasonable dollar range I might find a local shop?

·
Registered
81 Posts
My mechanic told me I've got a rear seal leak and added some sealant to the oil for $16. I'm supposed to give it 2-300 miles to see if it does the trick. I'll probably find out Thursday if it's working.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I would let it go. I also have a leak that's slow, but quicker than yours. The loss of oil is so slow that by time time it gets low enough you need to add, you'd have already done an oil change or two. Not worth the effort, IMO

I would say between 300-500 at a decent shop.
I had my rear main and my oil pan gasket changed a few months ago for 500$
Sounds like they did you dirty. Changing the rear main seal is very easy on TJ. Couldn't imagine it being $500. I also haven't shopped fornit, though. All you have to do is drop the oil pan and get a brass punch to remove/install the seal.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a small oil leak, a drip or two a day. Had it when I bought it late last summer. Dealer wanted 500 to 600 to fix it. What would be a reasonable dollar range I might find a local shop?
It's a really expensive fix. The gasket itself is about $20-$30 for the part you need but the labor is the reason why you're paying so much.

I thought because the fix involves a part touching oil, that the 100,000 mile century warranty would cover it but there is a clause that exempts seals & gaskets. With this information the dealer that I purchased my used TJ from a year ago "felt bad" for me so they did it all for $600 plus got me a rental for the 2 days it took to get the job done.

There are lots of write-ups on the repair.. here's one
http://jeepin.com/features/rearmain

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would let it go. I also have a leak that's slow, but quicker than yours. The loss of oil is so slow that by time time it gets low enough you need to add, you'd have already done an oil change or two. Not worth the effort, IMO Sounds like they did you dirty. Changing the rear main seal is very easy on TJ. Couldn't imagine it being $500. I also haven't shopped fornit, though. All you have to do is drop the oil pan and get a brass punch to remove/install the seal.
I let them buy the parts straight from the dealer so parts alone were about 150.
Then the labor for both gaskets. Wasn't just the rear main.
It was actually a decent deal. Dealer wanted $800

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Yea I don't have the hot hand with shop estimates. All I know is we took care of my buddy's jeep and an XJ in his drive way in the course of an afternoon.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just got mine done by a local shop since it's just too cold out for me to try it. My oil pan was really rusted. Still ending up with some oil spots on the ground, but I think it actually might be dripping from the head gasket, as it looks pretty wet towards the rear of it, or maybe the oil filter adapter... haven't even bothered to check yet. The mechanic let me buy my own parts, then charged for the labor. Labor for the oil pan, gasket, rear main, and the OPDA (needed that done too) came out to about $245. With the cost of the OPDA and the other parts, total cost probably around $450. I thought that was a great price for the pain in the ass it would have been for me to do it all in the cold.

This mechanic said he had done 100's of these at his shop.. he said to be prepared that even a few months later it might start leaking again. Seems to just be the way it is! If it EVER warms up again, I'll address the other spots to see if that may be where my drips are coming from.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Paid 362 because at 63 didn't feel like laying on cold concrete with oil dripping on me. Everything else I do myself but you got to draw the line somewhere. Make sure they know it's a 2 piece seal and they don't have to drop the tranny. Could be the reason for the 600 estimate?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had a local shop quote me right at $550 for the rear main and the oil pump. If you've got a lot of miles on the engine it might make sense to get the oil pump while in there. Having said that, my mech took a look at the drip (drop or two a day), and recommended just leaving it. Said it's an I6 with almost 100k, doesn't get much better than that. :)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
one more thing: be sure it really is the rear main seal that is leaking. On the 4.0L engine, if the valve cover is leaking at the rear of the cover the oil will actually drip down to the very same area where the rear main seal is, making it look like it is the seal and not the valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all. I have a valve cover leak as well. I will start there. I think I can do that one. I need OPDA done as well. I got the crown part last week. 65k miles so likely won't change oil pump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts