Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

How to set rear pinion angle with stock drive shaft

• Set it the same as the transfer case flange.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Set it 1 degree lower than transfer case flange because dif rotates upward under load.

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Who cares. If the drive shaft isn't vibrating then leave it alone.

Votes: 1 20.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've read a bunch about this and have it narrowed down to the 2 most popular responses. Help me decide as I am about to adjust mine.

·
Registered
533 Posts
How big of a lift are you talking about? You might not need to do anything if only a minor lift, which would then qualify for the "who cares" option.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It's a 2.5" kit but actually got 3.25" in the rear...before the wheels which is what matters. The dif is presently 1.75* less.

·
Retired Moderator
100,702 Posts
^^^X2, yes the needle bearings need to roll on the cross with a slight working angle. At 0 angle, the bearing will wear into the cross, because there is no movement between the two of them.

The difference in the squares of the two working angles, should not exceed 4 degrees.
Example: leaving the transfer case you have a 1 degree working angle, and at the diff, you have a 2 degree working angle. so 1 squared is 1, and 2 squared is 4, so you would have a difference of 3 degrees, which will not give you a vibration. This is the optimum area to keep it in..........:thumb:

·
Retired Moderator
100,702 Posts
Good Evening Ken,
Our temps will be back up around 100, starting tomorrow.....:firedevil:
Kens, WR?

·
Retired Moderator
100,702 Posts
Very impressive. I see no need to touch it as I have no vibration and I am in the good range. Thanks, Bill!
Your Welcome, enjoy your ride......:thumb:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a note. You do not have u-joints which means no needle bearings. Good info but Means nothing given you have a stock shaft.
Raising your pinion a bit will prolong the life of the DS regardless.... You're good to go.
Raising it to 1* lower or same degree as TC? This is where all my research gets fuzzy. Different strokes for different folks. My lift manufacturer suggested I move the pinion to about 76* based on the photos. That's about a 3* swing. Seemed like a lot to me.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
The stock rzeppa CV joint is fine at a slight angle. 3" of height there's going to a couple decrees raise of the pinion anyways. Pinion correction is only really needed running u-joints or higher lifts on a 2 door. The 4 door has a longer shaft, pinion angle is not as important.

Let's just say your pinion rose 2* from the lift. Add another 3*. That's 5* over stock. Problems =Coil bowing if you don't relocate the perches. Interference issues with track bar bump stop pad. Lastly and often forgot about. For proper lubrication, You'll want a aftermarket rear diff cover with raised fill hole. I don't know of any manufacture that states driveshaft angles per lift height. Too many variables.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts