Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I heard a noise in the rear differential. I got a friend to tow me home and when i took the front plate off the rear differential it was like a bomb exploded. Parts just started falling off. Doing research and trying to remove what I could with the tools and time I have, I have come to a stand still because I cannot remove the pinion gear. I don't have $1000 to send to a shop so I am trying to do most of the manual labor myself to help eliminate any shop costs/labor cost. The pinion gear will not come loose. I have used a 2lb sledge hammer and it will not budge. I have the replacement part but this gear shaft will not budge so that I can get it out of there. Any suggestions besides starting a fundraiser to get my 2012 Wrangler on the road again??

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Sounds like a BFH is needed . Big trucking hammer.

Some of them are stubborn and you have to woop the shit out of them. If you are only using a 2lb then you haven't begun to whoop on it yet. Just the way it goes some times.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'll tell ya straight. If you can't get the pinion off then you need to pay someone to do the work. Getting the pinion out is the easiest thing to do when it comes to gear work.

Seriously, you are headed down a road of heartache and expense. You don't have the tools or knowledge required to do a proper gear set up.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I hate to ask such an obvious question, but sometimes it isnt so obvious in a moment of frustration..

You did take the nut and pinion yoke off, right?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
maskale;29883274[I said:
I'll tell ya straight. If you can't get the pinion off then you need to pay someone to do the work. Getting the pinion out is the easiest thing to do when it comes to gear work.

Seriously, you are headed down a road of heartache and expense. You don't have the tools or knowledge required to do a proper gear set up.[/I]

This is exactly what I was thinking when I started reading. It's not uncommon that shops only have one or two techs that are capable of properly setting up new gears.
I understand money is tight, but it sounds like you can't afford to do it more than once.

Good luck either way

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
finally got it fixed

Finally got my jeep to the shop. The guy told me that because I was working on the ground, I must have hit it at an angle and it just got jammed up. Looks like the previous owner did a number on it off-roading. But, long story short, its all fixed, for a whopping $1000. I knew something was jammed considering all the videos I watched made it look easy. But every shop I called said its not as easy as it looks sometimes. Thanks for all the feed back

1 - 8 of 8 Posts