Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, need some expert advise. I recently bought my TJ and it did not come with the rear seat. I discovered the mount bracket bolts were sheared off. I tried to extract them out but broke a lot of drill bits in the process. Any suggestions what to do?

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you've got the same bolts as I do, they're the goldish torx bolts, correct? You could try focusing on the outer of the bolt rather than the middle. You could try cutting the outside edge of the bolt's (round) head on each side to create a flat edge. Then you could try using an adjustable wrench on it to turn it. Make sure it's nice an oiled up before you try to turn it, and try not to cut into your tub when using whatever it is you would want to use. I would use a small dremel cutting tool, or maybe if I was feeling precise enough an angle grinder. Hope you find something that works for you. Maybe someone else has a better and less risky idea.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just realized you said, "sheared off." When I think torx bolts, I automatically assume people meant stripped, since that tends to happen to them. Sorry, I guess the only thing I can think of is to continue using a screw/bolt extractor. I can't recall at the moment, but I'm not sure if you can get to the bottom of the bolts under the tub. If you can, I'd try putting vice grips on them and turning them enough to grab it from the top. Sorry again, and good luck.

·
Registered
14,173 Posts
If you can get to the other side you can grab the threaded end with vice grips and twice it on thru unroll the broken top end passes the threaded nut/hole. Had to do that with a busted bolt that held on the ebrake handle mechanism and was real easy

Or if drill bits not hard enough get a carbide bit

Or buy left hand bits at harbor freight and drill in reverse so if grab in hole in bolt tends to unscrew the broken bolt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts