Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a new 2017 Rubicon Recon last week and decided to install a rear seat recline kit. I purchased a kit from a reputable company in Ohio that came with black Delrin blocks/spacers for the seat.

Removing the factory bolts wasn't difficult. I didn't have access to an air ratchet, however a longer breaker bar helped. Installation was an issue with the supplied 19mm longer bolts. The rear seat frame, spacer/block and threaded hole didn't want to line up. I spent over an hour trying to align. Read a few posts on the forum where others had the same issue and they modified their seat frame (I wasn't about to file or cut into a brand new Jeep seat frame).

While trying to line-up all the parts together I decided to try one of the new longer bolts without the block/spacer in the rear seat. I could not get the longer bolt in the threaded hole. I tried the front holes and they worked. Thought this was odd so I tried all the threaded holes. Yep, all the back holes wouldn't accept the longer bolts from the kit. They only fit the front. I have no idea why other than the factory bolts have a tapered end.

Since most other rear seat recline kits reuse the factory 18mm bolts for the rear spacer, I decided to give them a try. Sure enough they worked and pulled all the parts together and were aligned. I used the longer bolts from the kit on the front without issues. I added a little anti-seize lubricant to all the bolts as well.

With the rear seat kit installed, my kids said it was a noticeable difference. I sat in the back and could tell it was more comfortable.

Lesson learned: When provided new bolts, test fit before installing to ensure they are a match with factory threaded holes.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Purchased a new 2017 Rubicon Recon last week and decided to install a rear seat recline kit. I purchased a kit from a reputable company in Ohio that came with black Delrin blocks/spacers for the seat.

Removing the factory bolts wasn't difficult. I didn't have access to an air ratchet, however a longer breaker bar helped. Installation was an issue with the supplied 19mm longer bolts. The rear seat frame, spacer/block and threaded hole didn't want to line up. I spent over an hour trying to align. Read a few posts on the forum where others had the same issue and they modified their seat frame (I wasn't about to file or cut into a brand new Jeep seat frame).

While trying to line-up all the parts together I decided to try one of the new longer bolts without the block/spacer in the rear seat. I could not get the longer bolt in the threaded hole. I tried the front holes and they worked. Thought this was odd so I tried all the threaded holes. Yep, all the back holes wouldn't accept the longer bolts from the kit. They only fit the front. I have no idea why other than the factory bolts have a tapered end.

Since most other rear seat recline kits reuse the factory 18mm bolts for the rear spacer, I decided to give them a try. Sure enough they worked and pulled all the parts together and were aligned. I used the longer bolts from the kit on the front without issues. I added a little anti-seize lubricant to all the bolts as well.

With the rear seat kit installed, my kids said it was a noticeable difference. I sat in the back and could tell it was more comfortable.

Lesson learned: When provided new bolts, test fit before installing to ensure they are a match with factory threaded holes.

Thanks for taking the time to write this issue up. I too installed the rear seat recline kit but, it was about 6 months or more ago so, I can't remember if I had any bolt fitment issues. I personally didn't find the rear seat all that uncomfortable. In fact, we brought the wifes mom home with us for a weeks stay and, the wife drove and mom sat in the passenger seat and I rode the rear seat, before the incline kit was installed. I thought it was just fine.

But, since those kits are cheap, I thought what the heck, why not. So, I ordered one up and installed it. At present, I don't recall the need to modify any of the seat framing in order for things to fit right. But, the added angle of the seat-back did feel a bit more ergonomically correct, how about that for a big word??
Scott

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a WarPig recline kit and really like the results. I had no issues with the bolts they supplied. I see they now have a adjustable kit that allows you to recline to different angles. The only issue I had was getting the back bolts under the seat out. Picture is of the distance the seat back moved.

ForumRunner_20170906_233208.jpg

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

I had the same experience. Only difference, I used a cheap no name ebay kit.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I put the WarPig kit on my 2015 last summer because we were going to a week long Scout training session with three adults. I could not get the supplied bolts in either, so just used the OEM. I thought I was doing something wrong since I was in a hurry as we were leaving in a few days.

The new owner of the Sahara will benefit going forward.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased 2 kits from the same supplier. We're going to install the second on a 2014 Sahara this weekend. It will be interesting to see of the back bolts fit. Good thing we tested on my 2017 with 300 miles :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts