Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the cables unlatch the seat so it will fold but suddenly neither side will unclamp to allow the seat to tumble. Short of breaking something I’m at a complete loss on how to get this thing to tumble. I’ve googled and searched and have yet to find a good explanation on what could be wrong. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
271 Posts
What year is the rear seat? Sometimes for my 2006, I spray some WD40 on the clamps and then try messing with the handle on the top of the seat that unlatches the clamps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s a 2003. My understanding is the latch / cables only allow the seat to fold. Those cables don’t unclamp the “C” around the rod bolted to the floor to tumble. The “folding” does something that actually unlatches for tumbling. I could be wrong but that’s what I’ve been reading. Heck I’ve even considered taking out the seat but getting to those star bolts with the seat not tumbled looks like a royal PITA.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
On my 04 the seat is free to tumble once it is folded...
If you have something preventing the seat from fully folding the tumble feature doesn't release...

Make sure it's folded all the way flat and give it a yank

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
There are linkage rods on both sides that unlatch the tumble function... you can feel them move while you are folding the seat

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can see when I fold the seat that on both sides the metal attaches to the spring lifts up on both sides. For whatever reason the clamps won’t disengage. I’ve tried jumping on the folded seat. Nothing. I just tumbled it a couple weeks ago. Granted I have 2 amps lodged under that seat that may be some cause.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I can see when I fold the seat that on both sides the metal attaches to the spring lifts up on both sides. For whatever reason the clamps won’t disengage. I’ve tried jumping on the folded seat. Nothing. I just tumbled it a couple weeks ago. Granted I have 2 amps lodged under that seat that may be some cause.

If amps are lodged in there, as you say, they're more than likely causing significant enough upward force/friction to those hooks to not release.

I would suggest, with the assistance of a friend, to put the seat in the fold position and with both of you working on opposite back corners, apply as much downward force as humanly possible directly above the lower latches to try and get the latches to lose that friction and release. I'm not familiar with the internal parts, but if there is a connecting rod from side to side incorporating the lower latches, pushing on one side at a time may be futile. In other words, they may need to rotate together.

·
Registered
133 Posts
We have an '04 TJ and, for the life of me, I could not figure out how to get the back seat to tumble after the seat backrest was folded forward. I lubed the heck out of it and still no go. I finally found that as I released the latch on the top of the backrest while standing at the back of the Jeep, if I simultaneously pushed down firmly on the center of the back of the seat bench itself with my other hand (not the back rest, but place your hand in the area between the backrest and the seat where the seat belts go through), it released sufficiently to allow the hooks to disengage, and as the backrest folded forward, the seat was now allowed to tumble forward. This works for me every time now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts