Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear shock mounts are completely rusted/broken off. If I get new shock mounts would bolting them on be acceptable or do I HAVE to weld them on.

·
Registered
517 Posts
My rear shock mounts are completely rusted/broken off. If I get new shock mounts would bolting them on be acceptable or do I HAVE to weld them on.
Upper or lower mounts?
Uppers are designed to weld on. I don't see how you could bolt them on without welding more material on the mount. Also to note, the frame is your structure... The less holes the better. Weld them on. That would be best.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I actually got a good look and I just need the shock mounts no frame repair kits, the top of my mount is still connected to the top of my shocks but they rusted through and broke off. So to tackle this I would cut the old mount off then weld new ones on?? Any tips or advice will be helpful.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Ok so I actually got a good look and I just need the shock mounts no frame repair kits, the top of my mount is still connected to the top of my shocks but they rusted through and broke off. So to tackle this I would cut the old mount off then weld new ones on?? Any tips or advice will be helpful.
Pretty much.
Prep, make sure all the rust is ground off. And make sure you get all the pits as well. You need clean steel for a strong weld. What kind of welder are you running?
Or have access to?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts