Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tackled replacing my shocks today. The PO had a Skyjacker lift kit, so I ordered the same shocks (Nitro 8000) online. No problems there, and I'm sure the ones on the TJ had at least 100k miles on them and needed replacement.

I hit all of the bolts with PB Blaster last night. The first three shocks installed easily. The final shock (rear passenger) bottom bolt and one upper bolt came out easily. The very last upper bolt closest to the gas tank seems to be rounded off, and or frozen...the socket just spun. I cannot get it off.

So, I just put the other two bolts back in and called it a day. How should I approach removing that last upper bolt so I can install the final shock? I'm considering going to local shop on Monday, but would prefer to do it myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
Keep hitting with PB and let it soak. Don't rush back thinking 'today is going to be the day'. I have had to had bolts torched off by my local shop they are on there so bad with rust or age or torque by the PO/time. Be patient.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Rounded / rusted bolts are the worst. I have fairly good luck using both penetrating oil + heat. Thermal cycle seems to work about 75% of the time. The remaining 25% is violent involving cutting tools and throwing empty beer cans. I have a set of craftsmen rounded bolt sockets that work once in a while. These are the last option before the cut off wheels, air chisels, etc. Your easiest way out is taking it to a shop. These guys don't have time to screw around and are used to dealing with this crap. (Cost difference is the cost between beer consumed fighting the bolt vs. shop cost.) Good luck!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
One of my top rear shock bolts snapped, when you say it spins is the socket spinning on the hex head of the bolt, or is the bolt spinning but not coming out due to the captive nut breaking away and spinning, if you pull the plastic arch liner out you can see the top of the bolts and if its the captive nut broke away you should be able the grip it from there, I drilled my bolt out and fitted a new bolt and nut. Goodluck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem solved! One more night of PB Blaster and Irwin bolt grip sockets from O'Reilly auto parts. Took 2 minutes to get it out. And, I spent $26 on a set of new tools I may never use again :)

Thanks to everyone for your replies.
 

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top