Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed one , and the bottom hinge hits the tire carrier post , any one else encounter this , I guess I need to put on a body lift to clear it !

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
You bought Smittybilt. You got shitty built.

There isn't really anything else to expect from them. Just about everything they sell is inferior to that of their competitors, either because of design or manufacturing flaws. Sometimes the flaw is minor annoyance, sometimes the flaw is major PITA. Smittybilt often makes knock-offs of competitors products, but with enough changes in design to avoid copyright infringement. Too bad those changes are often detrimental and result in inferior merchandise.

Not to say that some of their stuff isn't a great bargain, you just have to expect flaws and be able to correct those flaws (or live with them), without spending too much money. It's just that after a certain amount of additional cost and time to correct a flaw, you could have just gone with a better brand from the start and avoided the hassle of having to fix a flawed product that should even have been sold in the first place.

Let this be a lesson - when you buy Smittybilt, expect there to be problems.

:drinks:

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
X2 on the "shittybuilt" products. You could try spacing the bumper away from the rear crossmember with some washers. Or build a 1/4" thick plate that can be used as a spacer.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For what I paid , I'd do it again , a body lift is my plans , just wasn't ready yet , but i guess it's going to happen sooner than later

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not a problem. loosen the 8 bolts that go through the cross member remove the bottom 2 bolts completely

then kick the driver side of the bumper and slide the carrier female end over the post. once you have it on an snugged tighten the 8 cross member bolts and then reinstall the bottom 2 (you may have to wallow out the bottom bracket)

just did mine last weekend the instructions should have a change in the order of operation

1 - 6 of 6 Posts