Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 2012 JK with a crappy "Media Center 130 CD/MP3" stereo.

Obviously the rears aren't that great, and will need to be replaced, but I just noticed that the back drivers side has completely stopped working and the back passenger is about 50% of what it used to be.

I pulled the speakers and swapped them, and it isn't a speaker issue.

I would rather not take it to the dealer if it is something that I can fix. However, I don't know where to look first. I need to check connections but I'm not sure where they are. If everything is behind the dash,,, foget-about-it.
I'll take it to the dealer. It is 10 months old, so the warranty should handle it.

Any suggestions?

Dave

·
Registered
75 Posts
You might have some luck checking your connections at your speakers with a multimeter (you can pick a cheap one up at harbor freight)...I'm not sure exactly what numbers, but you can at least see if you have some power making it back there...other than that, I don't know that much about JK's, I'm just glad my YJ's electrical system is so easy!

·
Registered
108 Posts
What kind of sound is it?
Does it sound like the speaker is skipping? This could mean a disconnect somewhere in the line.

To test get a nice multimeter with either an audible continuity tester or one that will handle low Ohm loads (10>) attach the leads of the multimeter to the speaker wires. without power going to them. If it buzzes or beeps (audible tester) you have continuity. if you are reading a low ohm rating, around what the speaker is rated for, usually 2-8 you also have normal continuity. If it doesn't buzz beep or if it shows infinite ohms, you have an open somewhere

If the amplitude is just lower that might point to a problem with the head unit.
At that point I would suggest taking it to the dealer.

The speaker wires are going to be right where you already removed and replaced your speakers. Anything else will be buried in panels and such from what I can find.

Hope this provides a modicum of help.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
Why bother? Take it to the dealer , it's still under warranty. Chances are you've got a bad or blown channel on the head unit. Let them deal with it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments.

I was hoping that there was a connection that was fairly easy to get to so I could see if it was fully plugged in.
I was hoping that I could avoid the dealer. (can't stand those peckerheds)
I have decided that it is definitely their problem, not mine. I have an 8:30 appt tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
Let us know what they find, could be an exposed speaker wire grounding out or a bad connection. My guess is you got a bad unit. It unfortunately happens and I defo feel your pain on avoiding the dealer but if you can have someone do it for free then why not. Good luck

·
Registered
137 Posts
let us know what they find, could be an exposed speaker wire grounding out or a bad connection. My guess is you got a bad unit. It unfortunately happens and i defo feel your pain on avoiding the dealer but if you can have someone do it for free then why not. Good luck
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

w

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
kinda figured, well.................at least you get a new radio.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts