Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my question is, How close can your tire be to your upper rear spring perch? The distance between the side wall of my tire and the rear upper spring perch is one inch. Is that gonna cause a problem with rubbing while off road and flexing? Thanks everyone?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
1" is probably enough so long as you have that 1" on both sides. The first oversize tires on my TJ had about 3/4" clearance and they kinda-sorta rubbed only once in a while.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
1" is probably enough so long as you have that 1" on both sides. The first oversize tires on my TJ had about 3/4" clearance and they kinda-sorta rubbed only once in a while.
Yes I have one inch on both sides. I'm currently running 305-70/16's bfg at ko's. I was thinking of in the future of going up to 315-75/16's. In the duratracs. Going up a size in tires with the duratracs would make my 315's 3 lbs heavier then the bfg's.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Depends how good or bad your trac bar bushings and control arm bushings are. Assuming that they're in good shape and not allowing extra side-to-side slop, you can get by with very little gap. I'd aim for about 3/4" as the minimum clearance I'd intentionally design for, and if I could get more without my tires sticking out all silly, I'd definitely go for it.

Following a swap to a Ford 8.8" rear, which is 5/8" narrower on each side than the factor D44, I ran a couple years with about as much clearance as the width of a #2 pencil with my winter tires; my spring-fall tires have about 1/2" of clearance. Never rubbed on the spring perch or the frame rails, but it was closer than I preferred and it made it harder than I'd like to get a hose in to spray dirt/debris off of the upper spring mount area. Winter tires recently went from being mounted to factory 15x8 rims with stock backspacing to 15x7 with 4.5" backspacing and the result is that I can now easily slide my hand in between the tire and the spring perch, without the tires sticking any further out from the fender flares than they did before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts