Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, I can't accurately provide info as to amount/brand of suspension and body lift...suffice it to say, my Wranger easily clears the 35" tires mounted on it.

Here are the symptoms: Under light application of throttle (such as when trying to maintain speed) it feels like the rear end of the vehicle kicks to the right. When you let off of the throttle to slow, it feels as tho it kicks to the left. It isn't drastic at lower speeds, but I most definitely not going to take it on the highway.

It almost feels like "rear steer"...but what would cause that? Worn out trailing arm bushings?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
It could be the "trailing arm" bushings (more commonly called control arms or CA's around here) or a broken control arm mount or broken trackbar/trackbar mount. Get under there and look for cracks in the welds or worn bushings. Grab the CA's and see if you can shake them. Then do the same with the trackbar.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Try to post a picture of the rear axle and all mounts. Sounds to me like either your control arm bushing are shot or your track bar/mount is broken like mentioned above

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pics on the way.....I DID notice that the r/rear coil spring has a spacer (one of those metal twist in things) in it, but the l/rear doesn't.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
There are some stock control arms in there. Not exactly sure what everything was because of the close pictures (nice camera though). But you've definitely got some bushings that look like they've been rode hard and put up wet. Especially the 4th one you posted. And if you've got enough lift to clear 35's without highline fenders, you should have aftermarket arms all the way around.

·
Registered
180 Posts
All the control arm bushings are shot, and one or both of the control arms (4th & 6th pictures in your list) looks like it was bent and half arsed straightened.

You have a body lift to clear the 35s or suspension lift?

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Everything needs to be replaced.
x2...new control arms, both uppers and lowers. new shocks, proper bumpstop extensions with replacement stock jounce bumpers and new shocks. An adjustable rear track bar & better bracket with reinforcement would help. Looks like a giant t-case drop is installed...replace that with a SYE/CV shaft and set pinion angle. I'm sure the front end is equally trashed...some pictures of that will help too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The front is in better shape than the rear. For those of you that mention ride quality tho.....it sucks. Hit a cigarette butt, and you chip a tooth....lol

Front:

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
It's truly sad when a front end such is yours is the good end....but it's true, it is. You can make things right but it will take money and time.

Things can get much, much better though. You can only improve from where you're at.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
The front is in better shape than the rear.
Looks like a mess from here, but I've also seen worse.

Again, needs at least new lower control arms.

removal of the hard poly jounce bumpers, proper bumpstop extensions and a new stock jounce bumper.

removal of the drop pitman arm and reinstallation of a stock pitman arm.

could likely use an adjustable front track bar too, since you have the stock one with what appears to be a 4" lift or so. also appears to need longer brake lines.

the sway bar links can probably be saved if you remove them, wire brush the heck of all components, and paint them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am fairly certain the upper rear control arms are stock Jeep stuff. How about the lowers? Is that stock Jeep stuff? Was looking on a couple websites (NAPA, etc), and what THEY are showing for stock replacement parts are square....not round.

Most likely just gonna replace the control arms...it works out to be nearly the same cost just replacing the entire unit (w/bushings) as it does to have the old bushings removed and replaced in the existing arms.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
All CA's that aren't the stamped, square shape are aftermarket. And replacing all your arms with stock arms won't really solve your problem. Go take a look at Metalcloak adjustable arms. They have the best bushings available (along with the Currie JJ being a good one) and the price is reasonable. The adjustable CA's will allow you to correct your axle positions and the bushings will provide a smooth and overall superior ride than what the current ride is undoubtedly like.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts