Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I went to replace my rear taillights everything was going great till I went to screw the lights into the rear tub.... The screws won't catch which I believe it's not letting the rear lights ground properly. It seems the holes are stripped because once it starts to tighten up then all of a sudden it loses grip. What should I do?
Will bigger screws do it...?

Anyone have this issue before any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks for the help..!!!

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Use some 1/4X20 bolts with washers and nuts. You'll have to remove the plastic inner fender liners to get to the inside to put the nuts on..

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Use some 1/4X20 bolts with washers and nuts. You'll have to remove the plastic inner fender liners to get to the inside to put the nuts on..

Do this. its not that tough to get behind the fender liners and you will feel safe knowing that they wont just randomly fall off

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Hello everyone I went to replace my rear taillights everything was going great till I went to screw the lights into the rear tub.... The screws won't catch which I believe it's not letting the rear lights ground properly. It seems the holes are stripped because once it starts to tighten up then all of a sudden it loses grip. What should I do?
Will bigger screws do it...?

Anyone have this issue before any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks for the help..!!!
The tail light screws that go into the tub are a 12-24 with a thread diameter of .216. The problem you will run into is the hole in the tub is extruded in that they took a smaller punch into a larger die and pushed it into the sheetmetal which made a short tubular section. Then they used self tapping machine screws to form the threads when they installed the lights.

While through bolting the lights on is always an option, messing with the plastic inner fender is a PITA if you have to do it very often.

The two closest nutserts you can install in the flanged style are 6mm and 1/4-20. There is a #12 for the 24 thread count, but it only comes in a style I wouldn't use on sheet metal because it has a very small lip stop it from spinning and will be a problem at some point.

Since the 1/4" size is very common and easy to get, I would set 1/4-20 nutserts in each of the holes and call it good.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all the replies.....black magic I'm to go to ace hardware see if I can get those screws and go for it!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts