Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 JKU that came with dual tops, sold the soft top and hardware (God I regret that). I am planning on buying Safari straps this week. I will run without the hardtop for most of the summer. My question is in regards to the right and left rear tailgate retainer brackets on the rear of the vehicle (pieces that hold the rear tailgate bar).

If I was to remove my hardtop right now, would the tailgate retainer brackets be there, basically are they a part of the vehicle (usually are they on there), or was this something that was part of the soft top hardware I would have sold?

When I got the Jeep I just took the top out of the vehicle and all the hardware was in the boxes.

When I order my Safari Straps I just want to make sure I have everything in place so when they come I can do the install trouble free.

Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should have let them go with soft top, someone's hating it right now, you don't need them without soft top
If they were on my jeep how would I have known, I knew nothing of them, I only discovered what they were about until the other day when I was talking to the rep at Safari Straps...

If something is installed on my vehicle, and that is what I am asking, how am I to know, I think I was clear in my post what I was asking and explaining, and yet I don't even know if they are on there. But by your judgmental response, it sounds like they are.

Obviously if I am getting Safari straps and going to be using the rear tailgate bar, then I will need it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The brackets come in many shapes/sizes, however, If you're looking you should know if they are there or not: If they are there, the brackets, then you will need the bar that fits in the brackets for the complete install of the safari straps. Short of this you will still be able to ride with the SS on but there will be a small gap between the straps and the gate...perhaps with a little flapping.

As you can see here the brackets are on the flat portion of the tub where the hard top articulates. Hear could not be on your jeep at the same time as your hard top. I'm going to bet you do not have the brackets, you didn't mess up your soft top purchaser,... And you need to get the bar and brackets.

If I'm correct- you can get the mopar version- OR the bestop version for about 1/2 the price.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
You can buy those from Q-Tec. Your looking at about $24. Or check with your local dealer. Do you have any wheeling buddies? That's where I get my replacement parts. Were always modding our Jeeps. Most of us have extra or spare Jeep parts in our garage.:happyyes:

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
For what its worth, I just bought a Bestop tailgate bar kit off Amazon, it was $44.57. I needed this for their Duster Cover that I ordered at the same time. It includes the tailgate bar and a left and right bracket as seen in the pic above from MAXIMO. Its available with two day shipping through Prime account holders(everyone should be, hardly ever pay for shipping). Make sure to double check your package, as my first one was missing a bracket. I called them Thursday evening to let them know, sent that kit back on Friday and Monday morning I received my tailgate bar and Duster cover. So very good service regarding missing items from Amazon. Now if only the weather will let me pull the HT off tomorrow I can try everything out... Anyway hope this helps you.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
If they were on my jeep how would I have known, I knew nothing of them, I only discovered what they were about until the other day when I was talking to the rep at Safari Straps...

If something is installed on my vehicle, and that is what I am asking, how am I to know, I think I was clear in my post what I was asking and explaining, and yet I don't even know if they are on there. But by your judgmental response, it sounds like they are.

Obviously if I am getting Safari straps and going to be using the rear tailgate bar, then I will need it.
You can't have those brackets installed and the hardtop at the same time. You'll need to buy them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks everyone for your detailed responses. I couldn't see how those could be on with the hardtop. I even mentioned to the guy to call me if he had any problems or if anything was missing. I remember removing something off of the role bar, if may have just been some screws or something.

When talking things over with the rep from Safari Straps she had mentioned all this stuff and it got me thinking, and I just want to make sure I have everything covered.

Thanks again for the pics and info, everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts