Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas,

I recently bought a 2014 Wrangler 4 door that already had a heavy-duty rear bumper and tire rack on it. I found that when you go to open the back of my hard top the tire rack rubs bad on the bumper and has worn off the paint and rubbed it down to metal in one place, I don't know if the tire that is on the rack it to heavy or if the arm that the tire is mounted on is bent somehow. Any advise on how to get this to stop rubbing??

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Picture?

Sometimes tire carriers come with adjustments for smaller to bigger tires.
maybe the tire carrier is set on the small diameter tire. If there is no way to adjust
then you might me sol. For example I got the genright tire carrier and when you attach
the carrier upside down it creates more room for 35's so that it doesn't hit the bumper.

You can also totally remove the rear bumper. Which is what i did because I am planning on buying the EVO dring attachments and trailer hitch.

Show us some pictures that might help find a fix.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Can you post photos? Is is a separate tire carrier mounted to the bumper or is it mounted to the factory mount on the tailgate? My LOD carrier is adjustable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take some pics tonight when I get home. It's not a stock bumper tho. The tire rack is attached to the bumper.

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
Definitely misaligned if it's doing that kind of rubbing. I placed an arrow on the attached picture...can you get a shot of it there up close, where my arrow is pointing? Can't tell by your pics if the sleeve split...if it did, that's the problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely misaligned if it's doing that kind of rubbing. I placed an arrow on the attached picture...can you get a shot of it there up close, where my arrow is pointing? Can't tell by your pics if the sleeve split...if it did, that's the problem.

The 3rd pic is a top view of that part. If it's not good enough I can take another one later.

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
Can that be adjusted -raised up?
Looks like it may be made that way. I'm wondering if that's the sleeve that's split, or if it has seperation there (for tightening)...if it's the latter, he could try loosening it (tire off), raise the height slightly, and re-tighten those 2 clamping bolts.

I'm not picking on the manufacturer, but that's kind of a strange way for a tire carrier hinge to be set up...but I have no idea if it was designed for heavy tires or not.

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
The 3rd pic is a top view of that part. If it's not good enough I can take another one later.
Well, I just zoomed...I think that was made that way.

It may have distorted some over time. Try taking the tire off, loosen the nuts on those 2 bolts on the carrier sleeve (at the hinge), and raise it slightly. I would make sure the other end is properly supported (the latch end), make sure she's level, and tighten them real good.

Then put the tire back on and see if that helps.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Most tire carriers are designed to sit on the bumper/plate/lock when closed. They need support at both ends.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not to mention it's a MoFo to move the arm back and forth when the spare is on the arm. Is this normal?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts