Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the 32" tires on today and realized I need wider flares. However as I was looking at the flares it appears that the RR tire is about 1" further out than the LR tire?

Or the LR is 1" further in, which ever way you want to view it? I did recently install a BDS 2" lift (coils/shocks) would this have an impact on rear axle alignment?

Which is the best rear track bar? I do no heavy off roading or rock climbing, DD with some trails and hunting.

Thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
Bullseye said:
Got the 32" tires on today and realized I need wider flares. However as I was looking at the flares it appears that the RR tire is about 1" further out than the LR tire?

Or the LR is 1" further in, which ever way you want to view it? I did recently install a BDS 2" lift (coils/shocks) would this have an impact on rear axle alignment?

Which is the best rear track bar? I do no heavy off roading or rock climbing, DD with some trails and hunting.

Thanks
Did the same lift for my brothers TJ. When we installed the lift we also installed a track bar relocation bracket. OME is the brand we used.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Yes because of the track bar geometry, changing the suspension height will pull the rear axle one way and the front opposite. The 2" lift (I have the same) probably did not move it quite an inch. Having off center axles does not affect handling or tire wear. It really does not need to be fixed. For that small amout you can leave it unless you are close to rubbing on anything. For the rear the easiest is a relocation bracket and redirill the front mount.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had not thought about the geometry of it! Duh!

Makes sense the track bar is attached to the frame rail on the passengers side, raising the frame pulls the axle toward that side. Measuring the front axle it does not seem to have shifted. I will measure again tonight.

The relocation bracket is 2/3 the price of an adjustable track bar, it makes more sense to replace the stock one with 120k miles on it. I am sure the bushings have some wear at this point! Back end seems to have a little "swag" to it any way, which is ok if your a 20 something blonde walking down the street, not so good for a Jeep going down the highway.

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some pictures of my situation and it is not dire by any means but I am a bit of a perfectionist so this bugs me!

Here is what I am thinking, BDS adjustable track bars front and rear to center the axles and make me feel better. I am not fond of the idea of adding relocation brackets and one more bolt (weak spot) to the suspension.

I need some advice on new fender flares, stock are not quite wide enough and are faded and could use replacement. Rubicon flares are wider than sport flares? Would that be enough? Keep in mind the rear will be over another .75" to the left and the front .75" to the right.

I like the looks of the Rugged Ridge "all terrain" flares but will 6" be too wide?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
The relo bracket is a better option, too much flex and it'll tart bending the factory bracket. Ask me how I know :-(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I should explain my Jeep use a bit. Daily Driver 80% road use. Any offroad is limited to trails for hunting, fishing or going to the shooting range. No rock climbing, mudding or sand dunes (no sand dunes in Wisconsin or I might actually check them out!) The stabilizer struts will never be disconnected on this Jeep.

Yes I did find some relocation brackets for less money, but from a mechanical aspect you are adding another bolt location to the suspension and are limited to that location, no adjustment to actually center the axle. Maybe I am wrong? But with a Jeep having wobble issues why add another potential issue?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I have 2" BDS springs, and with the RC bracket, my rear axle is within 1/8" of being centered. A couple of small, easily removable welds on top of the supplied hardware I don't see an issue. JMO.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Bullseye said:
Maybe I should explain my Jeep use a bit. Daily Driver 80% road use. Any offroad is limited to trails for hunting, fishing or going to the shooting range. No rock climbing, mudding or sand dunes (no sand dunes in Wisconsin or I might actually check them out!) The stabilizer struts will never be disconnected on this Jeep.

Yes I did find some relocation brackets for less money, but from a mechanical aspect you are adding another bolt location to the suspension and are limited to that location, no adjustment to actually center the axle. Maybe I am wrong? But with a Jeep having wobble issues why add another potential issue?
Properly installed it will never be an issue.

Savvy rear TB and a relo. Bracket. That's all it'll take.

I'm 3 linked in the rear so I don't have a tear TB. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts