Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone that has put bigger tires on their tj and mounted one on the spare have any trouble with the bar on the body of the jeep that hits the locking mechanism on the trunk latch getting worn or have fresh almost gouging? I also added a hard top but do not recall if it happened prior.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Sometimes a larger spare will weigh down the door and put stress on the hinges, etc that can cause things to wear. I made a bracket that is attached to the bumper that my spare tire rests on when closed and takes all the weight off the latch and hinges.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Depends on the size of the tire. If you have a 31" tire it shouldn't make too much of a difference. If you've got a 35" Super Swamper on the gate it will sag very quickly. The bigger the tire, the more support you need.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
This is the bracket I put on. It is bolted to the bumper and is also adjustable up and down if needed and is off set so it is pretty much in the center of the tread. When I close the gate, I lift up on the gate a little so the tire goes up and onto the mount easily. This takes all the stress off of the hinges, etc.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Several people have done similar. It's a good idea. I've also seen hitch mounted plates and a roller wheel instead or a plate. Also, you need the bump stops on the back to make contact with the tire to keep it from bouncing. Space them out or cut them as needed depending on the tire and wheel backspacing.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Several people have done similar. It's a good idea. I've also seen hitch mounted plates and a roller wheel instead or a plate. Also, you need the bump stops on the back to make contact with the tire to keep it from bouncing. Space them out or cut them as needed depending on the tire and wheel backspacing.
You are correct on the bump stops. I had to add around an inch to my rubber ones so they made contact with the tire. All depends on the wheel back spacing. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts