Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
('08 JKU Sport)
One of my rear upper shock mounts recently broke... and I noticed that the other upper shock mount had a mangled bushing which was allowing it to bang around.

I learned that this is a "common failure" item and several companies make a conversion bracket that is a far stronger design.
Does anyone have experience with this? My shocks weren't that old and should not have failed so soon. Seems like a design flaw.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
First time I've heard this "common failure".

Are the shocks sized right? If they're too long they will bust the mounts on a hard full compression.

·
Super Moderator
4,583 Posts
('08 JKU Sport)
One of my rear upper shock mounts recently broke... and I noticed that the other upper shock mount had a mangled bushing which was allowing it to bang around.

I learned that this is a "common failure" item and several companies make a conversion bracket that is a far stronger design.
Does anyone have experience with this? My shocks weren't that old and should not have failed so soon. Seems like a design flaw.
Like Bob said, I don't think it is a common failure. It sounds like your shocks were too long fully compressed and when the suspension compressed the shock were what was stopping travel. It should be the bump stops job, keeping in mind that the stock bump stops compress almost completely.
Are you sure you have enough bump stop for the length shocks you are running? The only time I have had an issue like that it was when my rear shocks were a tad long and one of the shock mounts took a beating, pretty much the same sort of thing it sounds like happened to you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First time I've heard this "common failure".

Are the shocks sized right? If they're too long they will bust the mounts on a hard full compression.
No, this is a known weakness. My shocks were fairly new, the correct length, and still the upper bushings were both destroyed from movement and resulted in one of the bar pin snapping in half!

If you research this, you'll find that it IS indeed a common failure point on Jeep Wranglers. That's why several companies offer an upgraded bracket.
After I upgraded to bar pin eliminators, the upper shocks are actually much more solid. Check it out for yourselves...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts