Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both bolts snapped off when I tried to remove them. These are the 2 upper shock mounting bolts that are a pain in the ass to get to, thanks to the fuel tank and frame rail. Is there a way to access these broken bolts from the top? Is there any tricks? tips?
How the hell am I going to get those drilled out or is there a replacement mounting system I can do?
I'm about ready to take a hole saw to the body tub and cut a hole to get to them.. stop me!
It's a '98 Wrangler Sahara

Vendor
Both bolts snapped off when I tried to remove them. These are the 2 upper shock mounting bolts that are a pain in the ass to get to, thanks to the fuel tank and frame rail. Is there a way to access these broken bolts from the top? Is there any tricks? tips?
How the hell am I going to get those drilled out or is there a replacement mounting system I can do?
I'm about ready to take a hole saw to the body tub and cut a hole to get to them.. stop me!
It's a '98 Wrangler Sahara
You can drop the tank pretty easily to get better access to the area. Do a search for fixing those broken bolts and you'll find write-ups with pictures. This is a common issue so you're not alone! Good Luck.

-Ryan

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can drop the tank pretty easily to get better access to the area. Do a search for fixing those broken bolts and you'll find write-ups with pictures. This is a common issue so you're not alone! Good Luck.

-Ryan
Thanks... From what I've read so far, I like the idea of cutting a hole in the body tub and cutting the top nut off with a Dremal tool and replacing with bolts down through from the top with nuts on the bottom.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After a sawzall, drill, several Dremel cut off discs and a lot of cussing.. they're done. I ended up cutting a small access in the body tub.. Hated to do it but seemed to be the only way.

Registered
1 - 5 of 5 Posts