Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. So I've been having a little issue lately with my rest view mirror. I have cleaned and re glued it on about 5 times. I have used many different brand of mirror adhesive and they all fail within a day it so. It all started after I installed some motor mounts that have a bit more vibes than the OEM. I was thinking of making a bracket that attaches to the top of the windshield frame. Has anyone had this issue before and if so what did you do to remedy it?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am, wipe surface clean. Use prep pad/prep cleaner (depending on which brand I used). Let sit for 2 minutes. Apply small amount of adhesive to mount then attach to windshield. Let stand for at least 30 minutes before hanging mirror.

Surprisingly enough the longest lasting time was with no prep wipe or cleaner. The mirror stayed on for about 2 weeks then just with the adhesive.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I've had mine fall off once in 16 years... Is the Jeep windshield sitting in the Texas sun all day? Glue applied in the proper temp range?

Certainly mounting to the windshield frame would work - like older CJs..

But if I was going to that much trouble, I would look for a better mirror. Maybe larger with thermometer from a newer rig.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does sit in the texas sun all day but it was doing it even with temps in the 50's and 60's. Is that mirror you posted a CJ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine kept falling off until I used some 100 grit sandpaper on the metal piece and got rid of the old glue residue. Then followed directions to a T. Been a couple of years without a problem.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm just really hesitant to try it again. I'm afraid that if it fails it will take an even bigger chunk of class out. I picked up another packet of adhesive but I am still thinking. I was messing around with the mirror and it looks like I can mount the tab on the windshield frame and still have the mirror in the correct position.

·
Registered
207 Posts
So the mirror sticks to the glass, but the glass is almost breaking off in chunks..and is still stuck to the metal plate on the mirror? Sounds like the glue is holding, but you're having an issue with the windshield deteriorating. Out of curiosity I had to Google that couldn't find anything..I'm stumped.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have gone to Safelite to have mine put on. If you go to their shop they may not charge for it. The shop near me does not charge they do it hoping for future business.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It only broke a chunk out of the glass once. The other times I could tell that the bond between metal and glass wasn't good. I thought about a glass co. but I figured they would charge me.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The last time it happened a chunk of glass about the size of a pea broke off and stuck to the metal. So I tried reattaching the bracket with stuck glass back to the windshield. Then it broke off again but the broken piece if glass was glued back to it's original place! Lol

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I tried for the 5th time to put the freakin mirror on. Followed directions to the T and let it set overnight. Button popped off as I was tightening mirror on button! I guess I will just have to find a safelite or glass place nearby like someone had mentioned. I don't get it. I've been a auto tech for 15 years and have installed rearview mirrors by the hundreds and have never had this problem!

·
Registered
69 Posts
This must be a common issue because i bought my 2001 TJ a few weeks and it has a wobbly mirror. It is on my 'to do' list....
Would a silicon sealant or similar product work? I've used sealants to glue everything from motorcycle parts to toilets!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have to re attach mine as we'll about 1 1/2 years ago it came off. I got a kit from NAPA. Just gave up the other day. Tried a kit from Advanced Auto and it came off while installing the wire harness. I picked up one from Pep Boys with 3M glue but have not had a chance to try it yet.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Mine did this a few times, I drilled two small holes in the windshield frame and the mirror mount, threw the little metal piece away and used self tapping screws to mount it to the frame. It's been 3 years now and still holding.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought about doing that then I was considering using a pre 76 CJ mirror but I'm gunshy about drilling holes into my perfectly good window frame.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I tried the DIY avenue as well, following the directions, and had a small chunk of glass break off when re-applying. Took the adhesive back, was directed to a local glass guy. I went to him and he hooked me up with the "real stuff". I asked how much, he said don't worry 'bout it, just call me when you need to replace it! I took his card and told him I would recommend him to others. I read on other threads that this is a common practice with reputable glass "guys". Not sure how much I said helps, so just sharing my experience.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I put mine on four or five times last year. It's the heavy mirror with the compass and temp thingy.
The last time it fell off I just put it under the back of the drivers seat, and have had no problems with it since.

Calif. laws only require two mirrors to be able to see a certain distance. The door mirrors do the trick well.

It took a little adjustment to driving without a inside mirror. But the better view out the windshield is way worth.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts