Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dumb question, but just curious....does anyone know how much of a difference in gas consumption there is when you drive your wrangler in 4wd compared to rear wheel? i have a 94 yj. thanks! woot! :deadhorse:

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
there's a difference, i can't tell you exactly the mpg's. but its noticeable. there's no reason to drive your jeep in 4 wd, unless the road is slippery (ice and snow), or you're off road though

·
Registered
406 Posts
Not only is there no reason to, but you will damage parts if you drive on dry pavement in 4 wheel drive. :bottom:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Even off road I keep mine in 2wd until I really need 4wd.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not only is there no reason to, but you will damage parts if you drive on dry pavement in 4 wheel drive. :bottom:
the only reason i asked was because i got caught in a massive non stop rain storm the other day and drove it around like that for about 40 miles or so. so, im just curious to see if i burned way more gas. thanks for the concern though :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Even on wet pavement I wouldn't recommend driving in 4wd. I'd say a good way of judging whether to use it is if you don't feel in control in 2wd. Even so, in rain I would just slow down.

Traction at street speeds is hell on everything in your drive train from transfer case forward when 4wd is engaged.

And yes you will burn more fuel in 4wd. You're turning two extra tires.

·
Registered
291 Posts
the only reason i asked was because i got caught in a massive non stop rain storm the other day and drove it around like that for about 40 miles or so. so, im just curious to see if i burned way more gas. thanks for the concern though :)
with the dana 30 front end there is not a huge notice in loa becase of the axles internals. but if you had a way to remove the front drive shaft then tere would be a gain in gas milage. less rotating mass.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts