Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, I just finished installing 2 inch coil spacers in the rear of my 2000 wrangler. Once I lowered it back down my rear wheels are off? the back passenger side is about 1/2 inch from the spring tower, the back driver side is 1/4 inch from the spring tower. How could have the axle shifted?? Any advice on how to fix this?

Thanks

·
Knows a couple things...
49,407 Posts
Both axles are positioned left-to-right in the center by the suspension's track bar. The track bar connects to the axle on one side and the frame on the other.

Like the letter Z where the top of the Z is the frame and the bottom of the z is the axle, and the diagonal part is the track bar. When you lift the frame up away from the axle, the top of the Z (frame) pulls the lower part of the Z (axle) over to the side.

You can recenter the axle by either installing a trackbar repositioning bracket which will help recenter the axle, or installing an adjustable length track bar that you can make longer to move the axle back over to where it belongs.

But for only a 2" lift, I wouldn't even worry about it since the axle is only over to the side a little. I'd wait until you get to a taller lift like 3" or taller before you start buying such parts for it. I drove my first Jeep like that after installing a 2" lift for several years.

The below pic shows the front axle's track bar. It is connected backwards from the rear axle's track bar which means when a suspension lift is installed, the front axle is pulled towards the driver's side and the rear axle is pulled towards the passenger side.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
00BLUETJ said:
Quick question, I just finished installing 2 inch coil spacers in the rear of my 2000 wrangler. Once I lowered it back down my rear wheels are off? the back passenger side is about 1/2 inch from the spring tower, the back driver side is 1/4 inch from the spring tower. How could have the axle shifted?? Any advice on how to fix this?

Thanks
If you look at your rear track bar, you'll see why. It connects your frame to the axle. When you raise height it will pull that way. So you would need an adjustable track bar to make up for the lift, then you can center your axle/tires. In my opinion, you're not far off and it may sag a little after you drive on it. But an adjustable track bar or relocating where it mounts are the proper way to center it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You guys just saved me a ton of money with this thread thanks so much I just had in the shop and replaced a bad control arm and asked why my tires were goofy and they said that was problem but when I picked up after close was the same off center spacing you guys rock thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts