Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at my rear window washer and wiper unit on my 2010 when I noticed a wire hanging. Upon further investigation I realized that it was the wire lead that connects to the rear window defrosting grid. It looks like it may had been soldered in place based on the residue I see on the lead.

Wondering if anyone has knowledge of this connection and how the lead is attached to the glass window. I considered using 2 part epoxy but I am concerned that it might not allow for a good connection between the lead and the window. Not sure how one could solder it as the lead is covered on top and it would be difficult getting heat to the underside while holding it to the glass. I would also think that applying heat to the glass might not have a positive outcome.

With New England winter approaching and no garage to park in, I really would like to have this functional soon. Anyone who knows how to reattach this contact please let me know.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Reactions: ibikee

·
Registered
893 Posts
The Permatex product works great but follow the instructions *exactly* including humidity and temperature ranges. Had a friend who ignored that and it didn't set properly, he warned me when I was fixing the wife's JK.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can confirm what mcguirev10 said about the Permatex temperature and humidity requirements... I also ignored and will have to try again when we get back to ideal conditions here.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just resolder it back on. Mine came off and it wasnt covered by warranty anymore, I had a soldering iron and some flux laying around. It took all of 10 minutes to do with prep.

·
Registered
2 Posts
And once again, my defroster tab (passenger side) broke off, this is the 4th time now. Dealer has replaced entire glass assembly 3 times now under extended warranty. Extended warranty expired, but I understand the 'repair' carries 24 months warranty. True?
If not, I guess I will try the above suggestions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The tab detached from the glass on the passenger side on my wife's 2018 JK. Dealer repaired it once with an epoxy kit ordered from Chrysler under warranty. It lasted a few weeks before it detached again. The glass was replaced under warranty (just made it under the 60K limit) last week. Apparently the defroster will overheat and cause the tab to detach from the connection point on the glass. The sides of the defroster will be very discoloured and is a sure sign that things are getting too hot.

Here's hoping it won't fail again until after the lease is up and it's returned to the dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts