Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The zipper on the back window of my soft top is completely jammed. I've tried hitting it with liquid wrench. Wont budge. The Jeep service department wants to charge $200 labor + 380 for a new window.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had a local upholstery shop fix the zipper on my rear window. I believe it cost $120. Luckily they didn't have to repair the soft top. I got mad and just ripped out the window. He said they could have fixed it before I damaged the zipper.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I bought a top cheap because of that reason. looks like the zipper is off a tooth. it took some work but I was able to force it past that spot and rezipped it and now works fine. worst case you break the zipper and have to have it fixed anyway so might as well try.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a local upholstery shop fix the zipper on my rear window. I believe it cost $120. Luckily they didn't have to repair the soft top. I got mad and just ripped out the window. He said they could have fixed it before I damaged the zipper.
So I did the same thing. Got frustrated and pulled the zipper apart. I went to a local upholstery shop. They want to charge about $150 to fix the zipper, but no guarantees. Hoping they don't damage the zipper on the soft top itself.

·
Registered
2014 JK Rubicon manual 2-door
88 Posts
Bestop Zipper lube! I had the exact same problem! I tried all sorts of stuff, even yanking it with a pliers. I have no idea what this stuff does, but I had the rear window off within 30 seconds of applying it! Nothing broke, nothing needed to be replaced!

·
Registered
2014 JK Rubicon manual 2-door
88 Posts
Also, sorry to do this, but I have to ask, you do know the zipper part stays with the window, not the top side right?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bestop Zipper lube! I had the exact same problem! I tried all sorts of stuff, even yanking it with a pliers. I have no idea what this stuff does, but I had the rear window off within 30 seconds of applying it! Nothing broke, nothing needed to be replaced
Damn wish I knew about this a couple hours ago before I got frustrated and pulled the zipper apart. Now the window is just hanging lifelessly.

Also, sorry to do this, but I have to ask, you do know the zipper part stays with the window, not the top side right?
Yea, at first I didn't realize it but I figured it out.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Fluid Film will do (probably similar ingredient) the same as the Bestop zipper lube. Believe me, it works to keep them working nice a smooth.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Mine has done this from time to time since it was new in 2012. Patience is key and pay very close attention when you first start to zip. I really have to take my time on just that first 1/2”. Once past that, zero worries.

Sorry, as I know that doesn’t help you in the slightest, but if you can patiently work through it, you might get it free. I’ve had teeth misaligned in mine and was able to eventually work it free. I wouldn’t suggest using tools, though, as that incites the desire to use more force than in necessary.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bestop Zipper lube! I had the exact same problem! I tried all sorts of stuff, even yanking it with a pliers. I have no idea what this stuff does, but I had the rear window off within 30 seconds of applying it! Nothing broke, nothing needed to be replaced!
Too bad that they are out of stock of that. Nice to know that exists. 4 wheel parts has it in stock and I’ll go down and get a bottle after I do an oil change in the jeep this morning.

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Wrangler Willys 2dr
124 Posts
sheesh, I had a similar problem like that around 7-8 months ago, and W-40 fixed it, now I just lube my zippers every 2-3 months

·
Registered
654 Posts
Reading this thread it seems everyone has "their fix" for difficult zippers. But I guarantee there's no secret formula in that Bestop stuff that Fluid Film or any similar lanolin based product cannot remedy. And I have the Bestop lube. Will never drop the ca$h on it again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts